Hardware for Canadians

Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Hardware for Canadians

Post by Darthfrog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 04:31

Princess Auto is a Canadian hardware retail chan, selling tools, equipment and all kinds of mechanical odds & sods.

I was in the Coquitlam, BC, Princess Auto yesterday. I was quite surprised to see they have home food processing equipment there! In particular, they have the same Kichener branded electric #12 meat grinder that seems to be a popular choice in this forum. This is identical to the one I I bought from Northern Tools in North Carolina and had shipped to the Pt. Roberts, WA. I'm very pleased with mine and would recommend it to others.

They also are selling the Kichener-branded version of the ubiquitous 5 lb. vertical sausage stuffer . As far as I could tell, it looked identical to the Grizzly 5 LB. vertical stuffer which I also have and highly recommend as an excellent piece of kit for the price.

Hope this is of use to some of you.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 02, 2012 07:59

Rob, I bought my no-name 11lb. stuffer from Princess Auto in Langford. Decent quality, the only thing that the crank is on the side rather than the rear. There was a discussion recently about what looks like same stuffer on the Polish WD site where all the experts criticized the design. So far I used the stuffer five times and am happy with it. The great thing about buying anything from PA is that they don't have a limited return policy. You can return an an item any time you are not happy with it. How can you not love a store like that!
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47

How are the prices at Princess auto? I bought the grinder and 5# stuffer from Northern tool for $99 each then used 2 $20 cupons so They cost me only $79 each
Col. Big Guy
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 17:52

Big Guy wrote:How are the prices at Princess auto? I bought the grinder and 5# stuffer from Northern tool for $99 each then used 2 $20 cupons so They cost me only $79 each
In my posting, the items are hot-linked to the Princess Auto web pages. The grinder is $150, the stuffer $120. A fair bit more expensive than the same items from the States but perhaps more convenient for some folks.

I don't think you can beat the great prices you paid, other than that's the regular price for a 5 lb. stuffer from Grizzly.

--
Cheers,
Rob
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 18:03

Hi Red,
redzed wrote:Rob, I bought my no-name 11lb. stuffer from Princess Auto in Langford. Decent quality, the only thing that the crank is on the side rather than the rear. There was a discussion recently about what looks like same stuffer on the Polish WD site where all the experts criticized the design. So far I used the stuffer five times and am happy with it.
I didn't notice that stuffer on the shelf when I was there picking up a 2" ball for my bumper. Glad you're happy with it. What is the gist of the criticism about the design? Is the criticism valid, in your experience?

I'm so pleased with my 5 lb. stuffer that I bought from Grizzly a few years back that if I were to get a bigger one, I'd first consider Grizzly's 15 lb. sausage stuffer. It seems to me there must be a factory in China pumping out these ubiquitous low cost sausage stuffers that different companies stick their name on; they all look the same. The ones sold by The Sausage Maker look to be their own design, though, and seem more robust.
How can you not love a store like that!
It's a great store to just wander around in and day-dream about all the projects that you might do if only you knew what you were doing. :-)

--
Cheers,
Rob
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 03, 2012 04:34

It's a great store to just wander around in and day-dream about all the projects that you might do if only you knew what you were doing. :-)
I spend way too much time there when I have the opportunity and always buy something I don't really need. While we are on the subject of equipment, I was in the Missoula Montana Costco this morning and they have a heavy duty #12 grinder for sale for $349. Great deal, Cheaper than what others are selling similar product for and no sales tax in Big Sky!

And to answer Big Guy, the 11 lbs stuffer I bought was 199, and certainly no more than simar product in the US. And with the PA return policy, definitely a better deal.

Chris