Casing Question

workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Casing Question

Post by workingpoor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 03:47

I typically only use beef bungs to put my whole muscles in i.e. bresoala, coppa, lonzino. But beef bungs gets expensive and take up valuable refrigerator space.

Any suggestions on synthetic or collagen casings to use?

Thanks as always
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 17:28

Hey workingpoor - Yeah, those bungs are pricey. I bought my first one, but haven't used it yet.

I made lonzino using synthetic casing and also simply netting, same batch. I chopped the loin into 4 pieces, and stuffed 3 in synthetic and 1 in netting. The synthetic casing had me worried because it was impossible for me to get out all the air gaps, particularly on the ends. But the meat came out fine. The 3 pieces in the synthetic casing came out good (first piece I ate), better (second piece I ate), and GREAT (last piece...now almost gone :cry: ). No mold problems with any of them. The piece in the netting came out well, too, but I won't do that again because it dried so fast, and with this little experiment I learned that the difference between eating it just as soon as it's ready, and after aging an extra month or two, is profound!

Jeff