Cabellas equipment

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Aug 09, 2012 02:08

Can't say as I have any personal experience with any of Cabela's products but have heard anectotally that they're great with customer service and really stand behind their products.

That said, I only hear good things about Bradley smokers as well. Only downside to a Bradley is long term cost of wood pucks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 09, 2012 19:48

The price tags I have seen for all of the smoking supplies makes me wonder if I am in the wrong business.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Aug 10, 2012 17:11

I haven't really heard anything good about them, but I haven't heard anything bad either. I've bought Swarovski binoculars and scopes, my gunsafe, a ton of fishing equipment, and all my camping gear from Cabelas over the years. They stand by their stuff, no questions asked, and when they put their name on something it most often stands up to anything I'll be dishing out. Now I'm all ordered up and just waiting a week or so for delivery.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104582880
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Aug 10, 2012 17:32

ssorllih wrote:The price tags I have seen for all of the smoking supplies makes me wonder if I am in the wrong business.
Oh, I forgot to add that this was paid for by me selling a pair of Swarovski binoculars and a fishing rod-reel combo on Craigslist this past week, haven't used either one in five years, picked up $1500. I pack a Cabelas Club Visa card for everything I buy and had $150 worth of points to decuct from the cost, and my wife's way happy to be getting back her original $700 plus the $400 she'll grab from me. Getting the smoker for stuff I haven't used in years, and wasn't going to be using, kinds of makes me feel like I'm getting it for free! I'm so happy I just might make another batch of my wife's favorite sausage, fresh chicken Italian with dried tomatoes and black olives. That'll free me up for months of sausage that will all go into the smoker. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 10, 2012 17:33

When I bought a #10 grinder from Cabelas the plate ring nut was out of tolerance and wouldn't tighten. I called them and explained to a very polite woman the problem and said that I wanted to exchange it for one that would work properly but I didn't want to pay return shipping cost. She emailed me a prepaid return shipping label with no quarrel at all.
Now the quality of the cast iron in the grinder is a story for another time.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 22:14

I can say by personal experience Cabelas has one of the best return policies around. They even have a period of I think 60 days where you can try their grinders and if you don't like it for any reason you can return it no questions asked. Also they have a 5 year warranty with their grinders. I wish I would have bought one instead of the one I have. My suggestion if a person is interested in one, go to the store, open it up while you are there inspect it and make sure it is not damaged and there are no flaws from the factory. They are made in China.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 12, 2012 04:46

I've had a Cabelas Club Visa card for about ten years, been buying stuff from them for 25 years. I charge everything on that Visa card, groceries, gas, tires, lube jobs, and internet purchases, every little thing we buy. We pay the bill off in full every month so as not to incurr any interest charges, and every year I accrue $400-$500 free shopping at their store, online or in person. I bought my entire sausage making set-up thru them, I get their seasonings and casings, and am looking forward to receiving my smoker from them. I love Cabelas, and they love me. Jim and Dick even send me a somewhat personalized Christmas cars every year, as well they should. I've returned a few things over the years and received a instant credit to my account, no questions asked. They have the best customer service on the planet, bar none. I could start to vent about more recent experiences with other companies but I won't, I haven't had the promised credit back to my account after four days now.

Ps: A little side note about buying quality stuff. !4 years ago I purchased a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 binoculars from Cabelas, used them for deer and pig hunting when I was killing 8-9 pigs a year. I paid $1388 total delivered to my door at the time. Sold them last week for $1150 after they'd sat in my gunsafe for a few years without being used, right about what I'm putting out for my new smoker. My mama always said "if you haven't used it in a couple of years, get rid of it for what you can get". I'm not the sentimental type, unlike my life-long hunting and fishing partner, who's boat has been rotting in his garage for the last five years. Ooops, sorry, starting to ramble. RAY