Mixing Sausage Meat (with a kitchen mixer)

ajwillsnet
User
User

Mixing Sausage Meat (with a kitchen mixer)

Post by ajwillsnet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 17:11

I don't have a proper meat mixer for mixing my sausage until its sticky. I do have a Cuisinart stand mixer with a bread hook. Will this do the job?

Bert,
Last edited by ajwillsnet on Sat Aug 25, 2012 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri Aug 24, 2012 17:25

Hi Bert,

Small batches of 10# and under don't mix all that well in my 20# mixer! And a mixer is awkward to clean. I just glove up and mix by hand. Yes, the hands do get numb, but only for a short while. :lol:

Many people don't wear the gloves, but it is difficult to completely clean and sanitize hands around and under the fingernails. Any unwanted bacteria on the hands can be transmitted to the meat paste, and eventually effect the shelf life of the product. Proper food safety practices recommend the gloves.

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 24, 2012 17:58

I only make small batches (under ten pounds) and do all of my mixing by hand just as I do with bread kneading. In a large vessel push the mince down flat to cover the bottom of the tub. Fold it in half then turn it and fold it again 90 degrees to the first fold. Now mash it flat again and fold again and again and again and again. When you do this you stretch the mince. a double fold makes four layers. the next double fold makes 4x4 layers, the process is exponential and really quite fast.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 07:33

Bert, you wrote:
I do have a Cuisinart stand mixer with a bread hook. Will this do the job?
The answer is yes it will mix it... very well. Try the bread "loop" instead of the hook. It's much faster. However, it will also break down the size of the particles and it may even appear "emulsified" if you aren't careful. Sometimes, I even prefer this texture. The main thing is to intersperse the cure and the spices completely throughout the meat equally while developing the actomyosyn proteins. I wrote a little more about the subject on today's post for "Project B".

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
pikeman_95
Beginner
Beginner

BUCKET MIXERS 2 AND 5 GALLON 14-40 POUNDS

Post by pikeman_95 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 01:27

BUCKET MIXERS

I thought you guys might like my different bucket mixers. I make a 2 gallon 14 pound stuffer and also a 5 gallon 40 pound mixer. Both will mix a batch of meat in less then a minute. You use a 1/2 inch power drill to provide the power. Here is a picture of the 2 gallon mixer.

and here is a video of using the 5 gallon mixer. They are both very easy to clean.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... GVIDEO.mp4

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... MIXEDR.mp4

you can contact me at

kirby_campbell@yahoo.com

pikeman_95
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 05:32

Great idea Pikeman. I need to build one of those or do you sell them?
Send me a PM plz.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker