3mm Grinder Plate

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

3mm Grinder Plate

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 27, 2012 01:34

I was just reading the "Frankfurter' post in the "Beginners" section and something really caught my eye. The thought of having to emulsify sausage in the cuisanart in small batches is very unappealing to me, to the point I've never done it. A couple of the members who post here have had good success running their stuff thru a 3mm plate after the initial grind thru a 7mm plate, thereby skipping the time-consuming emulsifying step. My grinder has a #22 neck with 4.5mm and 7mm grinder plates, I see no 3mm plate avaiable to me from any of the supply sites. Could I get by making polish sausage or other emulsifying type sausage by running the grind thru the 4.5 mm plate a couple of times? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 27, 2012 01:41

Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 27, 2012 04:28

ssorllih wrote:Try this vendor: http://www.alliedkenco.com/398.aspx
Thanks a lot, all saved and will order two, a lifetime supply. Between you and CW there's a heck of a lot of knowlege here , quite a bit of it beyond my educational level. Oh, I do make my own bread for a few years now, I thought your rolls on a previous post looked wonderful. I kind of have to save what's left of my hands as best I can, which ain't much, I just don't "knead" anymore pain than I've already grown accustomed to dealing with. This machine that was given to me as a gift a few years ago works great, saves my hands and a few bucks. I follow the directions and then explore, every loaf is right about perfect. This is a loaf of honey / almond bread I had going while making sausage today. French toast with sausage and Camps syrup in the morning for brekky!

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 27, 2012 04:58

Ray , I will post an easy bread that uses a minimum of kneading and for a large batch your sausage mixer would be grand. Right now it is almost midnight and I have a small job for tomorrow.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 27, 2012 05:00

Never have used a bread machine but they have put homemade bread into more homes than Betty Crocker ever did. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 27, 2012 07:10

ssorllih wrote:Ray , I will post an easy bread that uses a minimum of kneading and for a large batch your sausage mixer would be grand. Right now it is almost midnight and I have a small job for tomorrow.
Thanks a lot Ross, you post it, I'll try making it! My right hand hand that could once strip any bolt with a 12" crescent wrench hasn't been able to form a fist for over two years now, index finger hurts all over. Just enough of that finger left to squeeze the trigger on my Weatherby should the opportunity arise. If this heat doesn't go away there will be no deer sightings, all the bucks will stay up high. There's always turkey season, I'm real good with a mouth call. I'd bet a wild gobbler would taste pretty darned good smoked after being brined up in CW's 7-up concoction. RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 27, 2012 07:43

Love the Allied Kenco site, thanks again Ross! Ordered two 3mm grinder plates, I'm sure one will most likely out-last me. My wife says I should be more patient and do the emulsifying with the dammed cuesinart, which I've never used and don't like the thought of. Pretty much all my sausage making efforts are in the 15 to 25 pound range and being able to run a load thru my grinder as opposed to doing a pound or two at a time makes a world of difference to me. I'm not in a rush when making sausage, it's my hobby and I do it alone, don't really want any help or interference, my on / off switch foot pedal for the grinder makes it all the more enjoyable for me. Fact is, it wasn't anywhere near as much fun before I got the foot-pedal, or as efficient. Seems there's enough stuff to clean up without having to waste time and energy on a step I wanted to avoid all along. Thanks again! RAY
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Sep 27, 2012 15:29

Ray, glad you got the 3mm plate ordered. LEM does carry them also, in case anyone else is looking: 20/22 STAINLESS STEEL GRINDER PLATE- 3MM (1/8") 348SS $19.49 (http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4039/grinder_plates)
Rudy
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Sep 27, 2012 21:08

Ebay has grinder plates, and other things too. But sometime somethings are veeeeery expensive. :shock:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 02:20

Gulyás wrote:Ebay has grinder plates, and other things too. But sometime somethings are veeeeery expensive. :shock:
I've bought them for as little as $6 each, shipped, in a set of 4, stainless steel, #10/#12 size.
Godspeed!

Bob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Sep 28, 2012 02:39

These plates can be sharpened. How many do you need to purchase?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 02:55

ssorllih wrote:These plates can be sharpened. How many do you need to purchase?
In my case, I sought to replace 2 not-so-great carbon steel plates that came with the manual Porkert grinder we have at camp, the other 2 new SS plates that we didn't need I sold for $18 each, the carbon steel plates I sold for $9 each, so we ended up with 2 nice new SS plates and $30 in profit.
Godspeed!

Bob