Sausage Stuffer?

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:25

Baconologist wrote:I have not been able to understand the benefits of a water stuffer (other than the large vertical commercial ones.)

I wish I could try one to see what the rage is all about.

It looks like they take up a lot of room and they appear to be very slow compared to a good vertical crank stuffer. (Not a criticism, just an observation.)
Bob, I have a large space upon which I mainly use the water-stuffer. I've found the stuffer to be considerably faster (!) than conventional hand-cranked vertical stuffer, plus the added benefit of it being 'hands-free' allows for two-hands to stuff =single person operation.

My 'stuffing' space:

Recent use:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:53

Having both hands free would be nice, but I don't have a problem using the crank stuffer alone. If the stuffer is set up so the sausage drops into a container, all that's needed is controlling how fast the casing pays out.

I've asked several times about the advantages of water stuffers, no one has been able to convince me.
I'm certainly not against them, I just need a very good reason to consider one.
Godspeed!

Bob
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 05:56

Topic Split by Chuckwagon - 2/1/13 @ 21:53 - See "sticky" topic People Making Sausage in the Hardware forum
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:33

Baconologist wrote:Having both hands free would be nice, but I don't have a problem using the crank stuffer alone. If the stuffer is set up so the sausage drops into a container, all that's needed is controlling how fast the casing pays out.

I've asked several times about the advantages of water stuffers, no one has been able to convince me.
I'm certainly not against them, I just need a very good reason to consider one.
Well, Bob, all I can say is I've been very happy with both models of the Kirby cannons I've used. The 2nd is a bit larger. I'll be installing both a pump and footpedal in the near future which will make it even easier to operate.

I also use my 5lb vert. stuffer, but I like also having the large cannon when the job calls for it. It's like having another tool in the sausage arsenal! :mrgreen:

Kevin
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Feb 02, 2013 14:51

I was wondering how much counter space would be needed, and what the potential for water flying all over the kitchen could be. Seeing Norcal's beautiful set-up answered both those concerns. Now I'm wondering about yellowjackets. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:10

A number of kirby cannon users operate them on their kitchen counters & do just fine.
I just like to have access to both sides of the unit when I work & room to move around so working outside on a large table works fine for me. In most of Kirby's vids & user shots, you see his stuffers in operation in the kitchen.

Kevin

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Feb 10, 2013 16:41

I have, from the first day of sausage making done it myself without help. I grind all the meat, mix it and toss it in a 15 lb. ( actually holds closer to 18 lb.) vertical Dick stuffer. I can usually push out a full load of fresh type sausage in 35mm casings in 3-4 minutes, then twist, weigh and bag. Smoked typed sausage I push a little slower because the mix is a little tighter and to make sure it is really stuffed more carefully with no air pockets. Having said that, if you were stuffing through the grinder with out a separate stuffer, it would be much easier with two persons......AND....about the wife helping thing.....my wife likes to help eat it. Except the Swiss sausage, just can't warm her up to that wine and desert spice flavor. I will post the recipe on the "sausage" topic forum. Just proves no one is completely perfect!
V465