Beginner
Beginner

Delitec?

Post by cbrace » Mon Jan 28, 2013 23:57

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying this Delitec meat grinder:

http://www.vuurenrook.nl/webwinkel/7000 ... litec.html

#12, 1000 watts. Price is €179

Never heard of this brand before. Anyone heard anything about Delitec?

I would be open to suggestions regarding some similar.

TIA
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 29, 2013 06:55

Hi CB and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with this particular grinder and the link was all in Dutch, not one of my languages. If I can digress for a moment, we spent two wonderful weeks cycling in Holland in September, 2010. No language problems since most locals were proficient in English. Enjoyed the wide variety of sausages and cheeses that we lunched on every day as we cycled from town to town. Now back to your grinder. Looks like one of the many basic home use grinders sold on this side of the pond. So it really depends what you will be using it for. If it is only for the occasional grind of meat of no no more than 5kg. at time, it will suffice. But if you are looking to frequently grind 10kg or more at a time, I would look at something a bit bigger as far as the motor is concerned. #12 plates and knives are probably big enough. Please extrapolate about your intentions and we can possibly offer some advice.
cbrace
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cbrace » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13

Thanks for the helpful reply! I live along and don't have much freezer space, so wouldn't expect to be grinding more than a couple kilos at a time, at the most, to make pâté (and soon sausages I hope), so something like this should be sufficient for me. I like to do a bit of research before buying, ideally reading reviews, but can't find much info on this thing on the web except for at the site I linked to above, which does have several positive reviews.

Glad to hear you enjoyed cycling here in NL. As you know, it is a fabulous place for that. I try to get out once a week for a day trip pedaling in the countryside. I just take my bike on the train, get off somewhere, and either cycle back to Amsterdam or head to another train station. The past few weeks it has been snowy and icy, and my wheels are in the shop, but hope to resume shortly.

To be honest, I can get fabulous sausage here. There is a French butcher (from Alsace) who makes fabulous links. Near where I live there is a Moroccan who makes merguez to die for. But I'm a foodie and I have a hankering to have a go at it myself.

The raw milk farmhouse cheese here are also sublime, especially the well-aged ones.

Colin
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26

Hi CB

My dutch is very rusty but by all accounts it should do what you want.

If Crustyo44 is out there perhaps he can comment in Dutch (if he remembers it)

Cheers

Steve
cbrace
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cbrace » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33

Actually, my native tongue is English ;) I am a New Englander by birth. Just a "resident alien" here.

There isn' t actually much in Dutch on that page besides size, watts, and manufacturer.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31

Hi Colin
Thought as much as Colin is not a normal name for a Dutchman.

Cheers

Steve
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Jan 29, 2013 14:06

Maybe talk to the local butchers as to what their opinion on this brand may be or what make and size they would recommend for your needs.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:18

Hi Colin,
Your best bet would be to go with something bigger and more sturdy. Most of these little toys(and that's what they are) have plastic gears, no good in our hobby at all. I had first hand experience with toys, it lasted about 10 kg of mincing and fell apart.
Luckily I got my money back.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:46

I don't read Dutch but I looked at the picture. It looks just like a particular grinder that I see again and again under many different brand names such as Kitchener, STX Turboforce, STX Megaforce, and MTN. It is a lightweight grinder. I know some are happy with it, but I have seen several stories of it not lasting very long. People seem happiest with the LEM, Cabelas (made by Tre Spade), and Tor Rey (not to mention commercial beasts like Hobart, which is in the Tor Rey category). There are others, but these come to mind.

Something to keep in mind when you are considering brand and size - the bigger ones get quite heavy, and the grinding plates get considerably more expensive as the size goes up. I have a #12 Cabelas and I like it a lot. It weighs 40 lbs. I have to cart it out from the garage each time I use it. If I had a 60 lb. grinder, in a few years I'd need a dolly just to move it!

Cheers,
Jeff
cbrace
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cbrace » Wed Mar 06, 2013 09:00

My belated thanks for the suggestions given above. After reading the detailed information here: <http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ma ... nding-meat> I realized that a manual grinder would suit my purposes fine (I am not doing any kind of volume here), and, as the author suggests, it would be worth investing instead in a good manual piston stuffer:
It is our opinion than a serious hobbyist should invest in a vertical piston stuffer which will make stuffing faster and more enjoyable. The money that is saved by not buying an electrically operated grinder can be reinvested into a purchase of a piston stuffer. By all means if you can afford it, buy all top of the line industrial automated equipment, but keep in mind that a manual grinder is an incredibly efficient device that can be successfully deployed in any production that requires 20 pounds or less of sausage.
So, I have a #10 manual grinder now and am shopping for a a piston stuffer. :cool:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 09:18

Nice to hear about your progress Cbrace. Please keep us informed and let us know how you are doing with this project. I hope you find that stuffer without any difficulty.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D