Sharpen Your Knife!

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Sharpen Your Knife!

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 29, 2013 02:34

Sharpen Your Knife!
Alright folks, now you don't have an excuse for not having razor-sharp edges on your boning knives. Save money by buying "bone-in" butts and cut your own. Hey, sharp knives don't cut your fingers... dull knives will because you have to force them to cut as they become dull. Invest in a good "butcher's steel" to use frequently while you are cutting. Remember, "steels" don't sharpen the knife - they "set up" the edge again. When the edge wears down, you'll have to remove a little "relief" steel on the edge to produce a sharp cutting edge again. This is done with an abrasive.
Are you wondering how to find a constant angle of less than 25 degrees? Fold a piece of typing paper in half. The angle at a corner is now 90°. If you fold any two adjoining (contiguous) edges together, the angle becomes 45°. Folded once more, the angle becomes 22-1/2 degrees - just right for the edge on a kitchen knife. Hold your knife next to the folded paper and place it on the sharpening stone to view and remember the proper angle. In the knife shop, we used huge, turning, abrasive wheels to remove the steel. At home, there`s just nothing wrong with using a good abrasive stone. Keep grindin', stuffin', and for goodness sakes... keep your edges sharpened! Good luck wranglers! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 29, 2013 02:51

I find that slicing a tomato or an onion is a fine test of the edge. If when I pull the blade across the sikin it doesn't immediatly bite in, the blade needs some work. A quick slash across the plastic wrap on a butt should leave a shallow cut on the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed May 29, 2013 19:31

" Hey, sharp knives don't cut your fingers... dull knives will because you have to force them to cut as they become dull."

That's a truth that a lot of folks aren't aware of. I learned how to sharpen my chisels as a 17 year-old carpenters apprentice and used to test them by shaving the hair on my forearm. Keeping my kitchen and hunting blades razor sharp has always been a labor of love.RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”