Removing water/iron stains from wood/bamboo cutting board

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Removing water/iron stains from wood/bamboo cutting board

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jul 03, 2013 18:48

Well, I did it again. :roll: I left a couple of meat grinder die plates out on a bamboo cutting board, and they stained it gray. This is the second time I've done this. The previous time was on a multi-wood cutting board. Each time, Beloved Spouse reminds me what an idiot I am for doing it again. Each time, I reply that if she left a polymer cutting board out, it would be both more sanitary and non-staining. (...sound of fireworks going off in background. ...or is it...?)

Anybody out there have a suggestion as to how I might bleach the wood, or remove the stain somehow? Water soaking doesn't help. Scrubbing with soap doesn't help. Sanding doesn't help. (These stains are DEEP !) Soaking with vinegar doesn't help. Wailing and gnashing of teeth don't help.

Yeah, I know- - "don't do that." (Tell me something a DON'T know.)
:sad:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 19:45

Oxalic acid is a good starting point
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 19:51

Use an oxalic acid solution. Oxalate (LDH) catalyses the conversion of a keytone called pyruvate to lactic acid. The product of the fermentation by an anaerobic process is the coenzyme NADH to NAD+. Whew! Did you get that? :shock: What that means is just be sure to rinse it off well before you use the board. :roll:
Don't fear my friend, it's the chemical used in "Bartender's Friend" and other cleaners.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 19:53

Borax neutralizes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:01

mmmmm.... yes, and Ex-lax does too! :roll:
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:06

Chuckwagon,

Your chemistry is amazing. Are you a technical advisor on the AMC show "Breaking Bad"?
I just recently started watching this show and it's great. Lots of chemistry involved. I keep looking for credits for you.
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:20

I often asked to remove iron based water stains from oak floors, a wash and soak with oxalic acid solution and a rinse with a borax solution works quite nicely. The details come on the box of oxalic acid that you can get at any neighborhood hardware store.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:52

Ducko.
Use Oxalic acid as the experts advised you. Just do Not treat/clean the cutting board in a stainless kitchen or laundry sink or anything stainless. You'll rue the day you did.
Good Luck,
Jan.