bayou classic sp10 questions????

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

bayou classic sp10 questions????

Post by king kabanos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 17:56

i just purchased the bayou classic sp10 outdoor cooking stove to finish my sausage in a water bath after smoking it and have a couple of questions if anyone has this burner and can help me out. i am a little worried that the flame will not go low enough to get my sausage a steady temp of 165 deg in the water bath. But maybe it can so if anyone has this cooker please tell me and help me out. that would be great.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 15, 2013 15:07

I'm not familiar with that particular cooker. I would suggest that you try it first and see if you can hold the temperature of just water, then water plus some sausage from a previous batch.

One way to hold a steady temperature is to have a BIG pot of water at temperature. (Thermal inertia.) Given a choice between a skillet of water and a pot, I'll go for the pot. When I home-brew, I work with 3 to 5 gallons of liquid, and it'll hold a reasonably steady temperature, in that same temperature range, pretty well if you keep things stirred.

I'm guessing here, but if you were to go a different route, would an electric skillet with a temperature control work better? Here again, use plenty of water. Temperature distribution in these things is usually pretty lousy.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.