Some of the pros and cons of hand cranked grinders

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Some of the pros and cons of hand cranked grinders

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 03, 2013 03:25

First of all any advertised estimates of through put rates should be considered optimistic.
With that statement out of the way. I believe that they can be favorably compared to the powered grinders within the same manufacturing group. I purchased one from Cabelas for $40 and got what I paid for. The crank handle was too short and the casting broke at the clamping base. I bought a #12 Choprite 2 and I have been quite pleased with it in every regard. Grinding twenty pounds in a bit over a half hour is the best I can do with it but the crank is long enough to provide plenty of leverage. The finish is excellent and cleaning is easy and reliable. If I am taking a break I can remove the crank with a slight turn in reverse and unclamp it from the table and it fits very nicely in the fridge.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Oct 03, 2013 16:54

Whew! That's work!
Tell ya what, Ross- - I'll send you mine, and throw in a free horn stuffer.

...guess I'm getting spoiled by my "modern conveniences." You'll have to "pry my cold, dead fingers" off my electric grinder and vertical stuffer. ...mainly because I try to keep 'em in the freezer as much as I can, between sausage making steps, and if it weren't for wearing latex gloves, I'd leave finger parts on 'em every time I retrieve something.

Keep on grindin' ! (Maybe this should be our group cheer?)
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:01

The exercise helps to ameliorate the sausage eating. I could get fat very easily between the sausage and the bread making.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:11

We'll define a new unit of work, here:
calories per crank, also known in civilized (sausage-eating) parts of the world as the Ross.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 01:01

ameliorate :roll: whew! Oh boy!
Hey Duck, I know that`s a big word for birds! It means to improve, restructure, revolutionize, remodel, reorganize, modernize, rearrange, upgrade, amend, or restore. Now, repeat after me... a-me-lio-rate.
Now, let's go find a big, scary, impressive word in the dictionary and use it on Ross! Here's one I'll bet he can't define... catawampously absquantulate

RockChuck WagonTrack
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 04, 2013 15:30

catawampously absquantulate(def)

I can invent definitions just as well as I Rockchuck can invent them. It really means that the man that created the sign for Lunch Wagons menu has a cockeyed mentality that allows him to believe that roadkill whistle pig ground and seasoned with stable sweepings can be sold as cowboy breakfast sausage and nobody will notice .
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 04, 2013 18:38

el Ducko wrote: ...guess I'm getting spoiled by my "modern conveniences." You'll have to "pry my cold, dead fingers" off my electric grinder and vertical stuffer. ...mainly because I try to keep 'em in the freezer as much as I can, between sausage making steps, and if it weren't for wearing latex gloves, I'd leave finger parts on 'em every time I retrieve something.:
I have to save what little bit of shoulder muscle I have left for turning the meat-mixer handle, arthritis is a friend who's always there for me. I keep the top shelf of one of my garage freezer vacant for the very same reason, to keep the tank of my 20lb stuffer in before use. I've come to freezing the removable grinder parts also, cold is good. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 04, 2013 19:32

I stuffed the pepper pieces in batches just to avoid anything getting warm. Second grind and fill. The grinder went into the fridge after each batch. Otherwise I would have been cleaning after each batch.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 04, 2013 19:54

Well, sorry, but the only good thing I can say about hand crank meat grinder is, that it's useable at times of power shortages.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 04, 2013 20:07

Gulyás wrote:Well, sorry, but the only good thing I can say about hand crank meat grinder is, that it's useable at times of power shortages.
I have used powered and manual grinders and manual grinders have distinct advantages for small batch work and ease of storage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:45

Ross, ol' pard, you wrote:
I can invent definitions just as well as Rockchuck can
You probably won't believe this, but in the old west, these two words were actually used.
Catawampously meant fiercely or eagerly.
Absquantulate meant to leave or disappear.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 07, 2013 02:43

Chuckwagon wrote:You probably won't believe this, but in the old west, these two words were actually used.
Catawampously meant fiercely or eagerly.
Absquantulate meant to leave or disappear.
...and you actually heard them shouted at you over the thunder of hooves, as you glanced back over your shoulder and hung on for dear life? :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:46

Well, sorry, but the only good thing I can say about hand crank meat grinder is, that it's useable at times of power shortages.

ditto