DIY humidifier for $20

tobertuzzi
User
User

DIY humidifier for $20

Post by tobertuzzi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 23:01

I made this a while back and thought Id share it. I got the basic idea off a nefarious gardening site....lol. It works great for me as having it on the outside of the chamber gives me more room inside. And it brings up the humidity very efficiently, faster than any humidifier I have tried.

First off you need a pond fogger I got one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LED-Mist-Mak ... 0622678868

You need a way to make this float, a float can be purchased but I made one from a PVC bushing (4x2 inch ) easily found in any hardware store. I used 2 inch pvc as the fogger I got fit nicely inside. I secured it there with a screw. This way you can just fill the bucket up once and a while and the fogger is always at the perfect operating depth.

Then you need to force the moist air through a hose, so I just used a computer fan wired into an old cell phone charger.
I have mine on a 20 lt bucket.
And the added bonus of the LEDs on the fogger is it looks sweet at night..lol

I hope all that makes sense

Toby
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 06:10

I saw one of those the other day in Bunnings (the pond fogger) and was wondering how to make it all work.
I think you have a very good idea there.
i'll try that.

Cheers

Steve
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 06:32

That's pretty ingenious Tobe. How will you suspend the meat and how much volume will it hold? Have you got a hygrometer? Let us know how the "trial run" goes. Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:46

Thanks CW,
Its a standard sized fridge, maybe 18 cft I think. I have dowels that fit inside which I use for hanging . I have 3 hygrometers and 2 units to control humidity and temp ( always need a backup).
You can see the dowel at the top of the photo. That was the trial run and it worked perfectly
Chorizo in the front, sopressa in the middle and guanciale at the back.

Toby
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 18:04

Here are the two controllers, the top one I made and the bottom one is from Auberins. I still need to tidy up some wires tho.