Aluminum cleaning

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Aluminum cleaning

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 21:24

I made the mistake of putting a piece of my stuffer in the dishwasher. Turns out it was aluminum. I didn't think it was as it looked to be made of SS. Well it came out with a black reside all over and I'm having one heck of a time trying to get it back to the way it was. Is it possible to get it back the way it was? Any ideas on what to use to clean it. Tom
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 16, 2015 22:45

Go to auto store and get some of the purple degreaser and spray it down then wipe with still wool. The oxidation should come right off.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 22:40

Butterbean I cleaned off the oxidation with the degreaser but the original shine did not come back. The part is clean but not like when new. Apparently when you do what I did there must be some sort of permanent chemical reaction to the metal. Well live and learn. Thanks for the help. Tom
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 19, 2015 02:54

Sorry it didn't work.
Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Sun Dec 20, 2015 07:37

Go buy a product called "NeverDull"...comes in a silver and blue can, will polish your aluminum to a factory shine with a little elbow grease...have a couple of shop rags handy..."NeverDull" is a cotton type material impregnated with a metal polish...I've never had it not polish a metal...polished the brass with it in boot camp ! Good stuff and not expensive !

Cheers,

Rich