Weston stuffer

martin
Beginner
Beginner

Weston stuffer

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 01:41

Hi welcome everyone.
I have weston stuffer 5 lb , works good,but after job is done i ended up with a 0,5 lb leftovers from the horn.
Any idea to minimize this problem,some folks use bread to push meat through the horn to casings, but I don't know if is good idea.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 23, 2016 13:40

Welcome to forum Martin! As you said some folks use bread or rice, I can't see how it would harm the stuffer. If I am using larger caliber casings I just stuff the leftover by hand. If that's not possible I just make patties.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 23, 2016 18:31

Martin, that leftover handful of meat just comes with the territory. I also used to agonize over it, tried the the bread trick and even bought a jerky gun (works like a caulking gun). The bread sort of works, but I also have some farce left not only in the neck of the stuffer, but in the chamber as well, so it is a lot of playing around. I stopped using the jerky gun because it was a lot of work for a such a small amount of sausage. Now I add the left over amount to sauerkraut, make it into a patty or two and fry or grill it, or just freeze it and throw it into my next batch of sausage. You can also shape it by hand into skinless sausages and serve like Balkan style cevapcici.
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 23:27

Thanks
Ok I try to freeze leftovers for the next batch , or try the sauerkraut metod .Usually i fry the patty but is to little salty after that process.
Ps. Just write leather to santa (wife) for a new LEM 5 Lb stuffer with metal gear, before weston stuffer with the neck I used kithener stuffer ( just a little leftover compare to weston) until plastics gear broke, so mybe I gonna found some thing under christmas tree to stuff snack sticks and brats , and weston still use to summer sausages, or krakowska .
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 00:01

I use that leftover bit for sausage rolls. I buy the frozen puff pastry and then roll it out, put the sausage across it in a long thin sausage roll, roll up the pastry, and cut it in bite size bits. Twenty min at 400F in the oven, yummy!
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 00:05

Graet idea fatboyz :grin:
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Wed Dec 28, 2016 23:49

I push the remainder into the tube by hand and remove the tube from the stuffer, after using various wooden spoon ends to push the meat into the casing I finally got a piece of stainless steel rod about the diameter of the stuffer tube. Works pretty well, seems like someone would make a plastic stomper for the stuffer tubes.

Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 29, 2016 16:03

Tom-
If you have the stainless tubes you can use the next size smaller as a pusher, just put a piece of tape over the end.
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 18:35

Bob K wrote:Tom-
If you have the stainless tubes you can use the next size smaller as a pusher, just put a piece of tape over the end.
That's a good idea! Thanks!