Emulsified Sausages - possible alternative for a bowl cutter

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 06, 2017 15:38

joe_indi wrote:I admit my knowledge of Mortadella commenced when you mentioned it. So I might have been in error. The only infomation I had was from this web page > http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... la-bologna

and also what i read about the mortar being used in early times
Traditionally, the pork filling was ground to a paste using a large mortar (mortaio [morˈtaːjo]) and pestle. Two Roman funerary steles in the archaeological museum of Bologna show such mortars.
(from : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadella )
You are right, there obviously is a connection. :oops: I should google a abit more. :grin:
joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46

LOEBER74 wrote:Joe,

Do you have the source for the mortar you show in the picture? I am interested in finding one.

Thanks

Dan
Dan, there are countless brands available here in India.
I bought one branded as Ultra Bigg since it was one with a big capacity(2.5 liter) for a table top grinder.
I will give some links below, you will need to check which ones have sales in your country (Canada?). BTW what is the voltage over there? We have 220 - 240.

Amazon India has quite a few brands.

http://www.topratedindia.com/top-10-bes ... ers-india/

https://www.elgiultra.com/products/wet-grinders

https://www.prestigesmartkitchen.com/ap ... t-grinders

This link might be the most suitable

http://www.buyindiankitchen.com/wet-gri ... t-grinder/
xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Sat Oct 07, 2017 15:45

Hi all, for the past 3 months or so, I have been using the "Ninja" food processor. The same as that wonderful German Butcher, Mr Eckkehard (Love that guy!).
The Ninja works well, but over 600-700 grams, (VERY cold, 3mm minced meat and crushed ice) the friction generated doesn't emulsify well(It's hot here in Vietnam)... But, 500g minced meat and crushed ice. The Ninja works well. I highly recommend this machine for small home use.
Above, Joe_indi posted links to bench top grinders. Thanks Joe, but, I'm not sure about how good they would be with emulsifying meat in a hot climate.
In Vietnam, it's hard to buy a traditional 'Hot Dog'. I'm going to buy one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CBN-GaLW-0
The mixing bowl, has a sealed outer 'jacket' that is put in the freezer overnight(presumably full of anti freeze, or heavily salted water. I have no idea) to help with over heating. It's a cheaper alternative to a real bowl cutter. I'll report back later this month, with good or bad news.
I rarely post, but, I have read and learnt so much from you all, over the last few years.
Thanks you guys.
Greg
xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Sat Oct 07, 2017 17:09

Mr Joe_indi, My apologies, the internet is very slow here in Vietnam, I could not see your earlier posts or pictures.
I just now saw the pics you posted. You have done better than my first attempts, here in Vietnam!
There is a lot of help here, on this site. Please keep in touch. I lived in Bihar for 3 years.. (The land of thieves and robbers) :-)
Your sausages look so close to being emulsified, keep trying my friend. Your from Kerala, it's hot there. I have the same problem here.
Namaste
Greg
joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 09:27

Greg, my grinder does not generate heat. So with crushed ice (next time I will use water at 0C) there is no rise in temperature.
Here the heat seems high because of the high humidity levels.
Outdoor temperature is about 33C, but its cooler indoors, and nights hover around 27C.
So I do my sausage making and also my cheese making at night. That is easier than having to do it in an air conditioned room.
I was a bit hasty and impatient the first time. Next time I will try to do things better. Right now I am waiting to get some suitable pork. I already have the beef, but no pork. Yes its available in stores, but I would rather wait for some fresh unfrozen meat.
Joe
joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 09:43

Its been a while since I posted on the subject.
Well I was waiting for some good pork, which I got a week ago.
I also wanted some beef (as in bull meat) which type is a bit difficult to come by since what is available here is usually buffalo and veal and, the occasional cow (actually banned here)
But I like only the bull beef, and intervals are long between occasions of availability.

I have encountered some stumbling blocks with my mortar grinder.
#1. Limitation of capacity. Being designed for about 8 cups of grain the quantity of meat it can handle is a little near about half a liter by volume. Anything more gets flung out.

#2. Grinding time is more since the action is much milder than spinning blades. But the temperature is quite stable even after 20 minutes of grinding.It does not generate heat

#3. Its a bit cumbersome to handle. And cleaning up after use could be quite a task. Since the grinding surfaces are stone cleaning it completely of the meat is extremely difficult.

So, I have shelved my idea for the time being and have started using the food processors that I have.

But I have not completely given up on the stone mortar grinder. It does have its plus points.
Mainly, it can be left unattended while it goes about its job.
The grinding is very fine.

I am in the process of trying something else.
But I think that should be another thread
Could anyone advice me where I should post on my idea to make emulsified skinless sausages. I am in the process of making my first batch right now and have the pictures to post.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Nov 26, 2017 13:20

Joe-
Just start a new topic in the Sausages Forum. for skinless I use Celulose or even cologen as long as they are poached they peel just as easily.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 26, 2017 23:42

Interesting report Joe, Looking forward to seeing pics of your sausages. I will be visiting India for the first time in January, so based on your comments, I guess I won't be eating any beef curry while there. :sad: :shock:
joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 17:47

redzed wrote:Interesting report Joe, Looking forward to seeing pics of your sausages. I will be visiting India for the first time in January, so based on your comments, I guess I won't be eating any beef curry while there. :sad: :shock:
If your Indian visit is in the North, yes you are going to miss out on beef curry.
But if you come down South, especially to my state Kerala,beef is an item you will be sure find on any eatery menu,or in 90% of the households, irrespective of religion or caste,as a curry, fried or roasted, as biriyani and many more dishes. Most people here love their beef, and consider it their fundamental right to have it at home or in restaurants.
So plan to visit South India.

Are there any alternatives to post pictures other than Image Shack?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:04

joe_indi wrote:
redzed wrote:Interesting report Joe, Looking forward to seeing pics of your sausages. I will be visiting India for the first time in January, so based on your comments, I guess I won't be eating any beef curry while there. :sad: :shock:
If your Indian visit is in the North, yes you are going to miss out on beef curry.
But if you come down South, especially to my state Kerala,beef is an item you will be sure find on any eatery menu,or in 90% of the households, irrespective of religion or caste,as a curry, fried or roasted, as biriyani and many more dishes. Most people here love their beef, and consider it their fundamental right to have it at home or in restaurants.
So plan to visit South India.

Are there any alternatives to post pictures other than Image Shack?
Not sure exactly where we will be tralling in India. We will be on 2 week tour, and I don't have the itinerary handy. Will check it out when I return home.

I'm using Imgur to host pictures right now, it's easy and fast.
joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:32

I uploaded this picture to Imgur.
This is my latest batch of franks, smoked, immersed in water at 75C for 20 minutes and rapidly chilled with water filled with ice cubes.

https://imgur.com/3jUZ0hs
Last edited by joe_indi on Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:48, edited 4 times in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:40

Just click on copy on the BBCode (message boards & forums) box . copy that link to your post and the image will be visible

joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:51

Bob K wrote:Just click on copy on the BBCode (message boards & forums) box . copy that link to your post and the image will be visible

I cant seem to get it to work
I am a bit slow on this Bob.
I dont see any BBCode, except a tick box for disabling BBCode
And in Options I can have BBCode On or Off
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 19:02

Click on the code on IMGUR , to the right of your Photo (on Imgur) and paste in your message on this site. When you log into Imgur use the Image section, if you are in albums click on the image and you will get a dropdown menu of links.

Disreguard the opions on this site

joe_indi wrote:This is my latest batch of franks, smoked, immersed in water at 75C for 20 minutes and rapidly chilled with water filled with ice cubes.

joe_indi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by joe_indi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 01:57

:grin: Got it!
Thank you Bob.
I have the pictures visible on my new post (Skinless Sausages)