Salty CB

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Salty CB

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 04:46

What is the best way to cut back on the saltiness of brine cured Canadian bacon? I took the pork loins out of the brine and have been soaking them for a few hrs and fried up a taste tester and it is still too salty for my taste. Should I shorten the brine time, use less salt in the brine, or soak longer once they are out of the brine? Thanks for the help :smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 08:40

Hi Gray Goat, Sounds like you may be using too much salt. What recipe are you using? I've found a 40 degree strength SAL at 5 days is just about right for Canadian Bacon. I've posted my recipe for the stuff on this topic (smoked pork products). It's been tried and true for years. The ham always comes out just sweet as can be, completely cured, and with just the right texture. How about giving my recipe a try. Be sure to keep it at about 38 degrees F. while brining.

00:48 Hi Wayne, I just looked at the recipe you used. http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html
The salt seems to be ok but 5 days in the solution of 40 degree SAL is long enough. If you left it in for the full 7 days, it probably became too salty and too mushy in texture as well. Try a shorter brining period and I think you'll be happy.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 05:54

Thanks Chuckwagon I appreciate the help. I finished cooking the loins a few hrs ago and while still being a touch salty I am happy with the results, I can't wait to try some beans with chunks of Canadian bacon :smile: I will definately try your recipe on the next go round.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Feb 05, 2011 02:00

You can also soak the CB after brining in fresh water for 24 hours to leach out some of the salt.

I change mine every 3-4 hours and start with new water. I've heard, and tried, adding potatoes to the water to assist in the leaching of the salt content.

Charlie