cure # 1

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

cure # 1

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 23, 2011 21:03

I have received the book "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" and I am pleased. I haven't yet read enough to answer a fundamental question. I am sure the answer is in there. It seems that the minimum effective level of sodium nitrite is 50 ppm and the maximum allowable is 156 ppm. This seems to indicate a reasonable range of safe and effective levels. I am guessing that avoiding the extreme ends of the range is prudent and a mid range approach is going to be effective. Is this a valid conclusion?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 06:25

Hi Ross,
You wrote:
I am guessing that avoiding the extreme ends of the range is prudent and a mid range approach is going to be effective. Is this a valid conclusion?
Not exactly Ross. In America, depending upon the product, We generally try to shoot for 156 ppm as a target. The reasoning is explained on page 36 and 37 in "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages", and on pages 238 and 239 in "The Art Of Making Fermented Sausages", both books by Stan and Adam Marianski.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 24, 2011 14:19

Thank you Chuck.
Ross- tightwad home cook