Storage / Muted Flavor

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Storage / Muted Flavor

Post by JerBear » Mon Apr 25, 2011 02:34

I made a polish-style garlic sausage about 4-5 weeks ago. I roasted them until about 153 degrees F then iced and stored them in the fridge. Couple days later I tossed them into freezer bags (not vacuum sealed) and froze them.

Today I tossed a couple onto the grill and they still tasted ok but the flavor was really muted from when they were fresh. Definitely not the quality you would expect from a hand-crafted product.

How do you guys store your sausages and for how long? Also, do you notice a drop in flavor profile, I was thinking the garlic would have actually gotten stronger. What about smoked v. fresh/roasted?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 08:12

Hi JerBear,
Garlic is one of the few fresh ingredients you may add to sausage. Rytek Kutas didn`t even bother peeling the stuff; he simply tossed it into the grinder`s hopper with the paper skin intact! The amount of flavor extracted from garlic depends upon the extent a clove is cut or crushed as the cells of the plant are ruptured releasing allyl sulfenic acid - an odorless chemical - combining with the enzyme allinase. The compound created is known as allicin - the stuff directly accountable for the fundamental aroma and flavor of garlic. The more the plant is broken down, the more enzymes are released as its "bite" becomes stronger. Cooks should realize that allinase becomes inert whenever heated beyond 150°; F. and no new flavors may be rendered from the plant - a desired characteristic when it comes to the preparation of "baked garlic". For storing sausages, vacuum packaging is the only way to go, although not even they will remove all the oxygen. With a vac machine and heavy-weight plastic material, storage is possible for a few months without a heavy loss of flavor, but any freezing will cause the product to lose a certain amount.
Because the flavor of garlic diminishes rather quickly in sausage, the makers of commercial sausage use garlic oil in many applications. Many home hobbyists making fermented-type sausages (dry-cured), have used dehydrated garlic with reasonable success. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Apr 25, 2011 16:39

While fresh is my preference I'd be willing to give dehydrated a go. If anyone uses it do they have a substitution ratio they could suggest?
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 30, 2011 20:15

JerBear wrote:While fresh is my preference I'd be willing to give dehydrated a go. If anyone uses it do they have a substitution ratio they could suggest?
Try this site Jer. I've found it a very reliable source.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Garlic.html

Check out the rest of the site too. It's full of good information.

Good luck! :grin:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Apr 30, 2011 20:41

Thanks for the link. I've seen that site before but it's been a while and definately hadn't read the page on garlic. I'd be careful using their recommended substitutions because they seem a little off. The granulated garlic that I got from Costco calls for 1 tsp per clove of garlic. I just used this ratio for my hot dogs which was just about perfect but the website shows a lot less. Although, much depends on manufacturer. I'd like to try dehydrated garlic and see how that goes.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 30, 2011 22:19

We dry our own garlic and onions, (along with a whole lot more.) It is so easy to do and always more pure and tasty. As you have acknowledged, quality is the key and often the reason for low cost is just that. I have a worm type, (low speed) juicer with which I produce garlic juice. (This is mentioned because high speed juicers create a lot of heat and destroy much of the nutrition as well as compromising the taste.)
The pulp is spread out on drying screens and quickly turns to dehydrated granules. This can be done in the sun and insects wont bother it. Whole or crushed garlic can be dryed effectively too. Because some of the flavour is removed in this process, I ususally double the amount of dried garlic called for. (Often do this anyway, we love garlic.)
It may be that your Costco product is processed in a similar manner. Garlic juice, is far more expensive than other forms of processed garlic but we prefer it.
It seems to be a much smoother flavour, without the bitterness that is almost always a edgy component of regular, raw garlic.
Hope this sheds some further light on your project.
Oh, one final thought. Don't be afraid to smoke some garlic, then pickle it. Yum Yum!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun May 01, 2011 08:21

I like the idea of juice. I've got a worm-type juicer. How many heads do you generally run through per run, how much juice do you get and how long does the juice stay fresh?
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun May 01, 2011 11:02

I don't have any pat answers for you Jer, I've never considered the questions before. We generally buy a netted pack of about 20 heads. The yield depends a lot on how fresh they are but I would estimate about 4-6 oz. What isn't used within about 3 weeks is usually put into infused vinegars which is another hobby. They make wonderful gifts and are greatly enjoyed at our table. The juice should be kept tightly sealed and refrigerated.
Here's another tip. The auger in my juicer (an Omega 8005) became so impregnated with garlic and onion that I had to buy another to produce an uncontaminated fruit juice. I now just switch them.
To prevent this, immediately after putting garlic through your juicer, sacrifice one or two lemons or limes, rinds and all, to neutralize the effects on the plastic components. Toss the resulting juice or use in a marinade.
If you should be inclined to try making your own infused garlic oil, please check out the potential health hazards before proceeding.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun May 01, 2011 16:20

Good idea with the vinegar! Thanks for the additional information.