smoke powder or liquid smoke

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

smoke powder or liquid smoke

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 03:08

Hi,
Shortly I would like to be making some old fashioned frankfurts without all super modern additives.
I like to use either smoke powder or liquid smoke as a trial, Do members have any guidlines of how much to use. I like the franks to have a noticeable smoke flavour but not overpowering.
Furthermore I will also smoke some, just for comparison sake.
If I use the smoke powder/liquid, do I have to use Cure #1. I will be freezing these franks virtually immediately after proper heat/cooling treatment.
I do realise that I have to use Cure #1 in the proper smoked ones.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 07:48

Jan, if you are making "fresh" sausage it will not require Cure #1, but the sausage must be refrigerated and consumed within three days or frozen for use later. A cased sausage that is placed into a smoker requires Cure #1 because the oxygen is cut off - not only by the casing, but by the smoke as well. The addition of liquid smoke has no bearing on the actual curing of the sausage and perhaps a sensible amount to begin with may be about 1-1/2 teaspoons in a ten-pound batch. If you`re like me, you`ll be adding a little more later on as you experiment. Why not try a three-pound batch using 1/3 teaspoon to begin with? Let us know how it turns out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 09:13

In addition to what Chuckwagon said, I would still use the cure in the unsmoked/fresh frankfurters. Without the addition of a curing agent, and without smoking them, you will not get the typical reddish or pink colour in the sausages.
~Joe~

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I love playing with my sausage!
Nie mam pojęcia co robię, ale uwielbiam bawić się z moimi kiełbasy!
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Dec 15, 2011 15:49

Hi 44. As a start or guideline, I use 1 Tsp for 5 lbs. of venison Jerky. I use liquid smoke, out of convenience. You can always add more but can't take away. Gives it a hint of smoke without actually smoking. Good luck.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 00:23

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the advise. Unfortunately frankfurters are put on the back burner for now due to the Christmas madness etc. Furthermore I have to make another load of Snagmans Csabai first.
Man!! they are good and I am nearly out of them.
Kids, grandkids, friends and others seem to hang around my house to score a few.
So this week end will be the start of a new 20lbs batch of these csabai.
When my new smoker is ready At least I can smoke five tiime as much.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 16, 2011 02:10

Figure out a way to suggest that more sausage would be available if more fresh pork landed at your door once in a while.. Admiring sausage eaters will cheerfully bankrupt you while praising your skill.
Ross- tightwad home cook