Lingonberries in sausage

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Lingonberries in sausage

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Aug 20, 2011 00:36

I LOVE Swedish potato sausage and always eat it with some lingonberry preserves on the side. A good Swedish friend turned me on to lingonberries a long time ago.

Well, today at work, he and I were partaking in some of my potatis korv (potato sausage) with the preserves on the table as well when it hit me; add some of the lingonberry preserves to the sausage prior to stuffing...

Anyone see an issue with doing this? The only potential drawback I could come up with is fermentation of the sugars, but potato sausage has to be frozen pretty quickly so as not to turn a nasty color due to the potatoes.

Thoughts?

Charlie
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 00:59

Hey Cranky
Just a thought, I wonder if fruit fresh would help on the ugly color? You can find fruit fresh in the supermarket. I have used it when we would dehydrate fruits and veggies on the dehydrator.
As for the lingonberries, never tried them.

Maybe worth a look.
http://www.freshpreserving.com/products ... fresh.aspx
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 20, 2011 03:27

Maybe try dried lingonberries or dried cranberries. I should think that you would have to account for the water if you use fresh. But they might help with the color and keep the potatoes from turning brown.
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Aug 20, 2011 18:28

All very good ideas!

Next time we make potatis korv I'll try a couple of different variations and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Charlie