Binder Question

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:33

OK, I just learned on caveat of using Special Meat Binder. But first a little background. I typically don't link up my Italian sausage as my wife likes to use it in sauces and such so I normally bag 1# in a quart freezer bag and smoosh it flat for condensed storage.

I just pulled a pound out of the freezer for dinner (going to serve it mixed with peppers and onions on a hoagie roll with marinara) and dropped it in a preheated pan. However, I couldn't for the life of me break it up into little pieces like normal ground meat. The binder did such a good job that it wanted to hold together into a giant patty. I ultimately had to get it out of the pan, chop it up with my knife and add it back to the pan after the onions and peppers were cooked to my liking.

So next time: Binder good for links...bad for bulk.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 02:37

Thanks JerBear, for the info.
I haven't made the 2nd batch yet, but I will before November, when I head out to your neck o' da woods. (San Marcos and Barstow)
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Sep 25, 2011 03:03

Nice, SoCal's awesome in November. While the rest of the US is in layers of down we're still in shorts and sandals. What're you coming out here for if you don't mind the inquiry?
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 07:45

Something interesting about meat binder using deheated mustard flour, to deheat they heat up the flour to somewhere around 55 deg C. Other advantage is that the skins of the seed contain mucilage which help to bind the fat and water together. There are some mustard recipes for those that like to make their own. http://www.gsdunn.com/en/news :grin:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 08:01

Some time ago, our buddy Siara (Moderator in Poland), posted the following information about phosphates used in meat products.

New Aspects Of Inorganic Polyphosphate Metabolism And Function

This review analyzes the results of recent studies on the biochemistry of high-molecular inorganic poly-phosphates (PolyPs). The data obtained lead to the following main conclusions. PolyPs are polyfunctional compounds. The main role of PolyPs is their participation in the regulation of metabolism both at the genetic and metabolic levels. Among the functions of PolyPs known at present, the most important are the following: phosphate and energy storage; regulation of the levels of ATP and other nucleotide and nucleoside-containing coenzymes; participation in the regulation of homeostasis and storage of inorganic cations and other positively charged solutes in an osmotically inert form; participation in membrane transport processes mediated by poly-β-Ca2+-hydroxybutyrate complexes; participation in the formation and functions of cell surface structures; control of gene activity; and regulation of activities of the enzymes and enzyme assemblies involved in the metabolism of nucleic acids and other acid biopolymers. However, the functions of PolyPs vary among organisms of different evolutionary levels. The metabolism and functions of PolyPs in each cellular compartment of procaryotes (cell wall, plasma membrane, cytosol) and eucaryotes (nuclei, vacuoles, mitochondria, plasma membrane, cell wall, mitochondria, cytosol) are unique. The synthesis and degradation of PolyPs in the organelles of eucaryotic cells are possibly mediated by different sets of enzymes. This is consistent with of the endosymbiotic hypothesis of eucaryotic cell origin. Some aspects of the biochemistry of high-molecular PolyPs are considered to be of great significance to the approach to biotechnological, ecological and medical problems.

Igor Kulaev, Vladimir Vagabov and Tatiana Kulakovskaya
G.K. Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142292, Russia
Received 16 April 1999; accepted 22 May 1999. ; Available online 10 November 1999.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 25, 2011 13:11

I am going to have to read that about six more times before I understand it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 13:28

JerBear wrote:Nice, SoCal's awesome in November. While the rest of the US is in layers of down we're still in shorts and sandals. What're you coming out here for if you don't mind the inquiry?
Yeah I know about the weather. I was there off and on from 1970 through 1992 at El Toro.
I like our traffic jams a whole lot better here.
3 cars at a 4 way stop. :wink:
My boy and grandkids live in Barstow. My GF lives in San Marcos. :cry:
Planning a big Turkey Day get together AND I have to teach my boy how to cook. :cool:

CW, I'll be Googling those big words all day long to understand what you are saying.
MAYBE!
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:37

Chuckwagon wrote:
Crumbling Hamburgers?

Have you ever wondered why the burgers down at "Al`s Malt Shop" always keep their shape as well as their juices? And just where does that particular special flavor come from? Whenever many people make a burger at home, it crumbles and shrinks and the juices remain upon the griddle as the burger is removed from the heat. The secret for making the best burgers is the addition of the natural "binding" power of soy protein concentrate. The product is natural and, as its name implies, it is simply concentrated soy bean protein. Soy protein binds comminuted (ground) meat together, and for that reason, it helps in retaining its natural juices. This of course, keeps it from shrinking.

It has one shortcoming only - the meat becomes a little more difficult to "sear" or brown while cooking. However, adding a little powdered dextrose or corn syrup solids, adding their own flavors as well, easily solves this problem. Please note these products are also "natural" and used in most commercial sausage kitchens today. Don`t be hesitant to use these products in your cooking as they are completely safe and contain no additives, preservatives, or foreign chemicals. Powdered dextrose is only 70% sweet as sugar and its weight forces itself into the cells of the meat more readily than other types of sugars, for complete distribution.

Years ago, the best burgers were charred outside and barely pink inside. Today, we must protect our guests against possible salmonella, listeria, e-coli, and a host of other bacteria, by cooking the burgers until their inside temperatures register 150 F. or thereabouts, allowing the "carryover" to finish bringing it up to a preferred temperature. Burgers are "medium" at this point. Here`s a good recipe for a tasty non-shrinkin` burger that won`t fall apart on you:

Chuckwagon`s "Hip Shot" Hamburgers

2 lbs. pork shoulder
3 lbs beef chuck
1 tblspn. powdered dextrose
3 tblspns. soy protein concentrate
1-1/2 tblspns. un-iodized salt
1 tblspn. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tspn. coriander
1/2 tspn. nutmeg
1/2 cup ice cold whole milk

Trim the shoulder and chuck and cut it into inch squares. Grind the nearly-frozen meat with its fat through a 3/8" plate. Mix all the other ingredients into the meat and distribute them thoroughly as you develop the actin and myocin. When pulled apart, the meat should be slightly sticky with soft peaks. Be careful not to over-mix the meat. Form 1/2 pound patties, flattening them evenly with a rolling pin. If you prefer burgers "griddle-fried in smoke", simply place your portable griddle (or cast iron black skillet) on top of the grilling bars of your gas or charcoal grill using plenty of dampened hickory or other hardwood to provide the smudge. Try apple, mesquite, alder, and oak. Don`t even think about pressing the patties down while they`re cooking! Put them on the griddle and allow them to sear before turning them over. You should only have to turn them once.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dang Hoss! These were GOOD! :mrgreen: I mixed up a half batch yesterday. I overcooked them to 160° and still they were fantastic. :oops:

I think these will these freeze okay if pressed out and separated with papers. Five pounds is a large batch unless all the kids are coming for dinner, and bringing friends! :grin:

Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 03:38

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your feedback on this recipe. I really appreciate it and I`m glad you enjoyed my Hipshot Hamburgers. I`ve grilled these for a few parties where my guests have just gone haywire over them. One guy asked my wife if he could move in with us. Another guy got down on one knee and "proposed" to ME. Everyone chuckled when I told him I was going to give him an "Eastern Utah size 12 Justin leather enema" (boot in the butt), and ran him out of the kitchen.
When I posted the recipe on line, I thought more folks would try them, but I didn`t get any response. That`s the way it is with some recipes... The ones you think people will really like, are sometimes the ones they tend to overlook. Other times, folks will make a fuss over the most simple combinations. Hipshot Hamburgers are tasty little devils and very much worth making. But I think everyone pretty much has their own favorite formulas when it comes to burgers and just sort of skipped over this one. I`m really glad you tried it... and super happy that you liked it enough to mention it. You just made my whole day. Thanks pard!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D