Wrinkled Casings (Why Cold Water?)

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 17:03

JerBear wrote:Just for grins and giggles I posed the question of wrinkling/shrinkage to the International Natural Sausage Casing Association (INSCA) and will post their reply when received.

Totally awesome.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:13

BriCan wrote:Salamis will always have wrinkles in/on them at some point of drying as it is a natural course of evolution. Salami should always be stuffed tight thus preventing air pockets as far as I know using GDL and such will give the smooth surface that some so long for the only problem is in my book one has not got a salami in the true sense of the word as for cooking a salami :cry: again one has altered the flavour profile and is not needed. Now if people wish to add foreign items to the afore said item and also wish to cook the said sausage that is their prerogative and I will be the last person to tell them that they cannot do it.

The original question was
"I have been doing my readings and I am seeing all of these techniques for cold showering sausages. Sometimes they say to cold shower the sausage immediately, sometimes they say to hot shower it then cold shower it, sometimes they say to let it cool in the air, sometimes they say to cool it, heat it and then re-cool it.

All in the aim of preventing excess wrinkling (aside from safety)

Is there anyway you could please explain this like it was my first day in class. I am having a hard time understanding the physics of it and that is what keeps getting me caught up!
What I wrote above in the simplest terms is exactly the answer to the original question now with the extra curve tossed in by story28
I think we have a grasp on what to do with these sausages to prevent these wrinkles, but I don't think we know as much about the WHY.
It seems that we have not yet grasp the what to do as we are still asking the why the why are we getting wrinkles is the most common one made by the novice and the expert alike -- two words; under stuffed.

There are some within this forum who know me, and there are some who have approached me for advice. It is within my best interest to give wherever/whatever I can in information and knowledge accumulated over these long years because as my counterpart said; once you and I have gone there is no hope unless they go back to the old ways.

I think it best if I just read this forum and keep my thoughts and advice to myself.

On that I will leave with this, Landjäger made the old way with just meat and spices and yes I do sell to the general public which means that it conforms to regulations

Great post BriCan, it's so easy to pick-out those with REAL experience here!

Thanks!
Godspeed!

Bob