'cooking sausage'

mking5
Beginner
Beginner

'cooking sausage'

Post by mking5 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 21:03

I am planning on attempting to make some summer sausage. This will be my first attempt at making sausage that has to be cooked or smoked. The instructions I have say to cook the sausage in the oven at 170 degrees for 7 hours. Aside friom the obvious, what are the differences between using a smoker or an oven to cook sausage. Will laying the sausage flat on an oven shelf make any difference as opposed to hanging the stuffed sausage in a smoker?
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 23:17

I use the oven when things are going slow, it's getting late and I don't feel like going down to the barn to check the smoker. I'll bring the prize up and pop it in the oven at 170 till done. That's the only advantage I see to the oven. Otherwise, use the smoker by all means if you feel you can control the temperature well.

Dave
mking5
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mking5 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 00:00

thanks Dave. I'll give it a try with the oven. Temperature control is a real concern with my smoker. I haven't used it that much and was never ally concerned about the temp when I used it before.
Finley52

Post by Finley52 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 05:50

like any other sausages...it will taste good if you let it boil first before frying. put just about half cup or less water in pan together with the sausages..let the water evaporate. when it does a caramelized thing will form on the pan and sausages...put a little cooking oil then... a few minutes turning/ rolling occasionally the tasty and juiciest sausages are ready to be served =) you can grill it after boiling as well instead of frying =)