Effects Of Added Alcohol In Sausage

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 21, 2011 03:31

Sometimes I have a cabernet open and sometimes a merlot and sometimes a good zinfandel and occassionally a pinot noir. Should I go and pull another cork to match the wine to the sausage? Nahhhh!
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Mon Nov 21, 2011 07:52

OleBull wrote:
Chuckwagon wrote:Now I am finding that the pro's who sell the stuff in the marketplace, actually use a Spanish "Sangria" wine.
That's interesting.
Sangria is a sweetened wine and fruit punch.
I've never heard of it being added to sausage.
It must be an American thing.

Sven
Sven, perhaps we are talking not about Sangria, itself, but a wine appropriate for making Sangria? Young, simple, not too acidic, not too tannic but still somewhat dry, smooth and soft - appropriate for adding fruit and fruit juices to make Sangria. In a discussion with Carlos Esteva of the Catalan winery Can Rafols del Caus, we discussed the choice of wines for making a good Sangria, and he was mentioning a blended wine of some combination of Rioja, Garnacha and Temperanillo (one, two or all three), as an example. I only suggest this as a possibility vs a sweet and fruity, acidic punch. And no, adding a sweetened wine punch to sausage is not "an American thing".
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 21, 2011 16:14

My experience has shown that adding the wine at the time of consumption gives the best flavor combinations. When you remove all of the liquid components from the wine there isn't much left to provide flavor.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 21, 2011 21:08

Sven , One can only admire your ability to write and impart so little information.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 23:35

CharcuterieGuy wrote:I reduce wine to get rid of some of the alcohol and concentrate the flavor before adding it to my sausage.
Me too! But then there is never any left for the sausage!
Dick

Never quit learning!
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 00:36

CharcuterieGuy wrote:I reduce wine to get rid of some of the alcohol and concentrate the flavor before adding it to my sausage.
Is that just to eliminate the alcohol and make the flavors more intense, or does the application of heat to the wine alter and improve the flavors, in your view?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.