Smoke dwell time and taste ?

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Smoke dwell time and taste ?

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 19, 2012 21:11

I think that we have all experienced a smoke filled conference room and also smelled tobacco smoke on the wind. The former stinks and the latter can be rather pleasing. The same seems to apply to wood smoke. Light a fire place with the damper closed and that wiff of wood smoke soon becomes overwhelming.
So now we get to my question: If the smoke coming into a smoker is allowed to pass through and the smoke cabinet just serves as a wide place in the chimney will the smoke flavor be different than it might be if the smoke were held in the chamber and delayed at the outlet.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Swallow
User
User

Smoke

Post by Swallow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 22:40

Ross, whilst I'm no expert on these matters I would think that yes it would make a difference. Smoke gets stale real quick and I would think that it would be better to have the smoke moving past the meat and then out.

At least to me meat done with liquid smoke always tastes like licking the inside of a chimney, not that I go around licking chimneys cuz like that would just be weird not to mention probably illegal in a few states,but yuh know what I mean, it's like when the taste is much like the smell and the smell is like the taste. Stale smoke don't smell all that good.

Funny that you should mention tobacco smoke on the wind. I smoke a pipe and the little woman has always said that it was the whiff of that Cherry Cavendish tobacco that made her notice me in the first place, and here I thought it was my dashing good looks fantastic physique and the big wad of cash that I had hanging out of my pockets. Who knows maybe it was the smoke and if it was the smoke I don't think that it would have worked if it had been stale.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:04

When I was a kid Half and Half pipe tobacco was very popular and I loved the smell on the outside air. I was completely disappointed when I packed some into a pipe and tried it.
That tobacco was originally sold in two small cans that fit together one was fill with burley and the other was filled with bright. Then the company later simply blended the two types and sold it in one tin.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:07

Some professional smokers are made to reuse the smoke if I remember right from a recent discussion.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:36

We could build a cabinet that was almost air tight and heat a panful of saw dust to make smoke and vent the cabinet only to control the relative humidity. Or we can make a cabinet that is open at top and bottom with controllable vents and allow the free flow of externally produced smoke through the cabinet. Would the two systems produce different effects?
Ross- tightwad home cook