Fat Replacement

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Fat Replacement

Post by DLFL » Tue Jan 24, 2012 18:36

My wife has high cholesterol. Has anyone here used the fat replacement product CKX Fat Reducer-Cholesterol Fighter from the "Sausage Maker" or other fat replacement products? If so what did you think of the finished product?
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 21:20

I use it in all my stuff and have for quite some time. I really like it. It is smooth in consistency and really does what it says on the package. You can read about it in Stan's latest book called, "Making Healthy Sausages".
Fat Replacer is a product of the Sausagemaker™ and it's made from microcrystalline cellulose, konjac gum, and xantham gum. The last two ingredients are water soluble. Microcrystalline cellulose is not. Mixed in moist meat, it becomes slippery, giving the mouthfeel and texture of real fat. As in everything, there are limits of how much can be used, but I certainly recommend it.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Mar 18, 2012 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 24, 2012 22:49

Chuckwagon does fat replacer cook out as easily as natural fat when the sausage is grilled or cooked?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 08:53

No, it does not "render". Its not supposed to. It simply makes a smooth and creamy mouth feel while providing an alternative to high cholesterol. "Fat Replacer" has zero (O) cholesterol! :shock: Read Stan's new book and you'll be convinced too! I've used the stuff ever since it came out. What the heck... it's made of oats! How ya' gonna' beat that? :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 25, 2012 16:15

In England they feed oats to horses and in Scotland they feed oats to MEN. Oats are good food.
Gonna have to try this in my bread wrapped snack sticks maybe they won't shrink so much.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Jan 26, 2012 07:10

I haven't gotten the recent "Healthy" book from the Marianski's so could someone tell me how they've processed oats into a fat replacer? It sounds similar to rusk which is popular in a lot of English sausages.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 23:47

Hi,
Stans book about healthy sausage making should be on every forum members bookshelf. I bought it a few weeks ago and the information is mind boggling.
If you need to make low fat sausages this book gives you recipes as well as all the testing that was done with low fat sausage making.
I was reading it everyday when I had a few days holiday far away.
I do know that this fat replacer from oats CW mentions is not available yet in Australia.
Oats are good for you, I made a rather good whisky from it.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:46

JerBear,
I'm sorry ol' pard, it has nothing to do with fillers or rusk. It has everything to do with modern science and the discovery and development of products that can't be explained in a few simple paragraphs. It took Stan an entire book to present it to a dunce like me, so I'm afraid there is no other explanation than to simply buy his book, open a "bud", sit back, and read.
By the way, how is your smoker coming along? Are you finished with it? Have you been using it? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon