USDA (And Bacon)

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

USDA (And Bacon)

Post by DLFL » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:26

I found this on the USDA site concerning bacon.

Bacon

How much nitrite can be used in curing bacon?
The USDA is responsible for monitoring the proper use of nitrite by meat processors. While sodium nitrite cannot exceed 200 ppm going into dry-cured bacon, sodium nitrite cannot exceed 120 ppm for both pumped and immersion-cured bacon.

Researchers at the USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) found that the addition of vitamin C (also known as ascorbate) and vitamin E (also known as tocopherol) reduced the levels of nitrosamines in fried bacon and in nitrite-cured products. The findings led to changes in Federal regulations and industry processing to minimize consumer exposure to nitrosamines. USDA now requires adding 550 ppm (parts per million) of either sodium ascorbate or sodium erythorbate to pumped bacon. This addition greatly reduces the amount of free nitrite and, thus, minimizes the formation of nitrosamines. This regulation is found in 9 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 424.22 (b)(1). How much nitrite can be used in curing bacon? The USDA is responsible for monitoring the proper use of nitrite by meat processors. While sodium nitrite cannot exceed 200 ppm going into dry-cured bacon, sodium nitrite cannot exceed 120 ppm for both pumped and immersion-cured bacon.

Dick
Last edited by DLFL on Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 01, 2012 16:25

Very good to know.
Ross- tightwad home cook
randalleg
Beginner
Beginner

Post by randalleg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 06:28

I feel like 550 ppm less bureaucracy will make my bacon taste better.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:46

I have been wondering about the parts per million using the immersion technique. To truly hit it on the head would not the weight of the water and spices jn addition to the meat also have to be taken into consideration?
Dick

Never quit learning!