Using fresh herbs

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Using fresh herbs

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 01, 2012 20:50

This week I prepared some chicken thighs as confit. The preparation was simple 1% salt, the grated rind of a lemon and two tablespoonsful of chopped fresh parsley and basil. Rub three chicken thighs with the salt mix and refridgerate at 34°F for two days. Place on a glass baking dish ,cover with melted poultry fat and bake at 190°F for ten hours. Drain the fat and pour the drippings back over the meat and refrigerate in the dish they were cooked in.
No acid and no sodium nitrite.
Rather complete coating of fat. There exist some who advocate this as a safe method for long term storage. What is the potential for the growth of pathogens?
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 08:56

ssorllih wrote: growth of pathogens?
Ross,
I do a lot of duck confit, haven't done chicken. After the cooking, during which they are completely covered in very slow simmering goose fat, the pieces are stored in the same fat, once again completely submerged. This way I have kept them for 4 months. I was curious to see how long they would last. No sign of any deterioration at all.
Interesting you cooked them for ten hours, duck usually takes 4 for falling off the bone, which is too much, since they are roasted/pan fried to finish. I would like to know how the taste is Ross.
Regards, Gus
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 02, 2012 14:17

They probably are over cooked. The taste is mildly salty with a light lemon overtone. The parsley and basil are subtle and would be missed were they not present. Nancy tasted and said "THAT'S GOOD", before it had been browned.
The cookbook "The Joy of Cooking"© said you prepare a goose as for fricassee and place all of the raw fat in the bottom of the pan, then the meat and pour lard over the meat to cover. first salt the meat and press it for ten days. Then make the cooking and rendering.
Ross- tightwad home cook