Safe Thawing Practices

Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Fri Dec 14, 2012 04:28

I am new here and not knowledgable much on sausage making. My butcher makes 6 or more types of fresh brats. He always has plenty frozen, vacuum sealed in four packs. I thaw them in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes before cooking, the color looks good to me. If I can get him to tell me what he adds for that I will pass it on. Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Fri Dec 14, 2012 09:37

Do not defrost in hot water. Leave frozen meat in the refrigerator overnight to let it slowly thawed. It will be better.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 14:41

When I make fresh sausage, right after they are linked I cut the sausages into singles and put them in the freezer on a wax-paper'd cookie sheet for a hour before shrink-wrapping with the Foodsaver. The wax paper keeps the sausage from sticking, and the hour in the freezer helps maintain full form and appearance during the shrink-wrapping process. They are usually shrink-wrapped 4-5 to a pack and all packs are in the freezer before I begin clean up. I also just throw a pack into a sink of warn water for a half hour, not always sure what I want to eat the next day. They look and taste just fine. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 14:55

Hot water thawing flies against all standard practices and can be unsafe.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/

When in a pinch, and have vacuum packed food, I use cold water to thaw food. Fresh sausages will take about an hour, and a piece of salmon a lot less.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:41

redzed wrote:Hot water thawing flies against all standard practices and can be unsafe.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/

When in a pinch, and have vacuum packed food, I use cold water to thaw food. Fresh sausages will take about an hour, and a piece of salmon a lot less.
I've always thawed my fish in cold water, I'll do the same with sausage from now on. Thanks Red!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Fri Dec 14, 2012 16:13

Not really sure thawing sausage in hot water for a half hour at the most, and then on the smoker is unsafe. My butcher gave me this method. I have done it both ways in the fridge overnight and in hot water, never noted any taste difference. Though I will try the cold water method if it's only one hour, I usually have that much time! :mrgreen: Smokin Don
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:54

You can even thaw the sausage on the grill it just takes a bit longer to get the internal temp up.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Dec 15, 2012 18:18

I hope I didn't come across too wise, I find you are never too old to learn when it comes to cooking. I only do sausage in one layer packs in hot water. I know better than do fish or large cuts that way. My butcher is 3rd generation and the family business started in 1898. He makes 12 different types fresh brats, fresh and smoked sausage, smoked bone in and boneless ham, old fashioned balogna, ring balogna, pork bacon, beef bacon, jerky, grits, pan pudding, summer sausage, and he does butchering for fall deer hunters. I didn't figure he would tell me anything unsafe. Thanks for splitting this out CW, keeps the original post on topic. Smokin Don
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:22

Don, you wrote:
I hope I didn't come across too wise,
Not at all pal. We enjoy reading your comments and suggestions. Hey... you're part of the gang now! Just keep them coming. May I ask a question? With as much smoking as you do, why did it take you so long to get into sausage making? Or are you just being shy about being a beginner? Just curious.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D