Cheddar Brat Question

cat797
Beginner
Beginner

Cheddar Brat Question

Post by cat797 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 00:56

Alright, don't crucify me, but the grocery store sells Johnsonville or Ekrich Farms Cheddar Brats and I want to make some that are similar........I know, but my wife only likes these kind.

I'm trying to determine how I should grind the meat, for example, fine, medium, or course grind? Grind once, or twice?

I have a good recipe and can easily add cure and smoke, but need a little advice on the grind.

Thanks,
Ed
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 21, 2013 02:55

I had pretty decent results making smoked Polish grinding the butts thru the medium plate, mixing in the spices, then running everything thru a 3mm plate on the grinder. I'd imagine you've got "hi-temp" cheddar, that would be mixed in right before stuffing. Others with far more knowledge than I will chime in, you'll never get a bum steer here. Oh, I don't have a food processor, that's why the 3mm plate. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 04:55

Hi Cat797,
Hey, I like `em too. Johnsonville makes a great sausage. A few years ago, I ran across a recipe very near the original at Johnsonville`s . As I worked with the recipe, I found that I could add first-class ingredients and a lot of TLC (tender loving care) and come up with even a better-tasting product. I called it,"Bronsonville Jots" and you can find it at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...php?p=7803#7803
It`s very close to the top commercial recipe. Why not give it a try? I think you`ll be surprised. Use a larger die and keep the meat cold. Add some high-temp cheese if you must, then enjoy! Also, don`t overlook our "MRI" (Member`s Recipe Index) at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146

Best Wishes
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 22:15

Hi Cat, for bratwurst, My favorite recipe is Chuckwagon's beer brat, I add regular cheddar cheese to them alot, I dont use the high temp on fresh sausages like this, and they are fantastic, This is one of the best old woorld brat flavors I have found, the cream and beer are what seperate it form the rest, Tim

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5080
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 04:57

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the input. I like 'em too. What would we do without brats? :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D