Findin' Yer (Pork) Butt

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15

Oh man, oh man! They are incredible. Nice work pal. I can just imagine the flavor.
Isn't it nice to know how to do something like this? You'd never find that kind of quality or even that kind of a product in some danged ol' store. Shucks, the restaurants can't even duplicate quality like you've got on that batch. Congrats my friend!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 14, 2014 14:38

You're right CW, it's great to know how to produce quality smoked meat like this, not to mention the bang you get for your buck. A grocery store will charge $5-$6 for a flavorless six ounce package that looks like they sliced it with a razor blade, this was made for under three bucks a pound! Time to get to work on some Kolbasz, it's smokin' time of year for me. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 14, 2014 15:40

Ray , you surely do nice work. Ross
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 14, 2014 22:00

ssorllih wrote:Ray , you surely do nice work. Ross
Thanks for that Ross. Part of being a good finish carpenter was always being able to take pride in the appearance of a completed project and knowing the job was done right, I can't see where cooking is any different. My sausage making and smoking plans have been put on hold until Monday morning. Lunch at the sushi buffet, tempura shrimp and crab with a large Sapporo has completely shot my day. Yard work and getting the veggie garden in this weekend are priorities now that we're going into the high 70's daily. Glad I didn't unwrap that package of porkbutt yet. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 14, 2014 22:20

We got into the low 30's today. Couple of days ago I got my shoes muddy walk in my back yard today it was hard frozen.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 15, 2014 05:40

ssorllih wrote:We got into the low 30's today. Couple of days ago I got my shoes muddy walk in my back yard today it was hard frozen.
Boy howdy, that sounds like something that would get real old real fast, much less having to endure it for months. Being a 3rd generation San Franciscan I've never even thought of moving too far away, I don't do snow.

Chris and Bob K were right, the porkbutts I bought recently are just two roasts of the same thing, one left, the other right. RAY

I did manage to overcome lunch lurgy and became somewhat productive, I should be smoking a fifteen pound batch of Kolbasz late tomorrow morning. More to come. RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 15, 2014 17:20

sawhorseray wrote:Chris and Bob K were right, the porkbutts I bought recently are just two roasts of the same thing, one left, the other right. RAY
Hey Ray you mean that there was some doubt earlier? :roll: :grin:

I thawed out one of those double packs of butts that I purchased in the States back in November and ended up with two nice 4lb pieces for coppa and over nine pounds of meat for the pepperoni I'm making this weekend. The nice thing about using butts is that there is such a negligible amount of waste.

Have fun with the kolbász. BTW, the term kolbász was derived from the Slavic language group, and there are not that many in the Hungarian vocabulary. I have been to Budapest twice and could not understand a darned thing. :shock: :sad:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 15, 2014 22:53

On the packs I bought last year where the roasts were stacked vertically on top of each other the bones were a lot different from each other, maybe one was a picnic, I don't know. These ones I just got are definitely the same thing, just a right and left shoulder. The picnic hams I smoked a couple months back I think had kind of a ball joint bone, maybe it fits into a socket-type bone from the butt.

I hunt with a couple of Hungarian brothers whose parents are from the old country, been to mama and papa's place for many festive occasions. I brought some of the last batch of Kolbasz I made and got a huge thumbs up, tho I use a little cayenne in place of the hot paprika. Kolbasz, hearty mustard, cold beer, all goes well together. RAY