first time coldsmoking sausage, dont want to kill wife and c

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun May 18, 2014 12:28

I also looked at those recipes, and I think 28 grams of salt is way too much.
After drying, it taste much saltier, because proportions changed.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun May 18, 2014 12:31

Yep, it's a heck of a lot of salt.
Not unlike most of his similar recipes.
Godspeed!

Bob
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun May 18, 2014 15:35

The original recipe that Marianski translated is here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... old-smoked
The recipe is for 5 kg. and calls for 23 to 24 g. salt per kg, plus a small amount of salt peter. It is an old traditional recipe and the slightly higher amount of salt was necessary since the sausage was not refrigerated after smoking. Not sure why Marianski altered the amount of salt to over 3% when you also add the nitrite. I certainly would not use that much salt if I was making that sausage. Another very similar recipe on the Polish site calls for only 15g salt and 2g of salt peter. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/kielbasy/trwale ... -wieprzowa

There is also an obvious error in the Russian sausage recipe in adding 5g of Cure 2 nitrite to 1kg. That works out to 312.5 ppm only with the nitrite, the additional nitrate content in Cure 2 take it into the danger zone. Most Polish recipes (that is sausage made in Poland), have a nitrite content of 120ppm.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun May 18, 2014 16:22

Hi Red,

Those old recipes use more salt, because in the old time they didn't have refrigeration, salt was the only preservative. Also they made sausages only winter time, when it was very cold. Some people still don't use nitrate. But of course they used much different salt, called "dirty-salt" because all the minerals in it.
I remember the salt was blackish.
Old timers used to say, the best sausages are made from warm meat, meaning freshly killed animals, spiced before it cooled down.
Many people still don't use grinder ether, cut the meat with knifes.
Now, after 5 weeks my sausages don't need refrigeration......
Hmmm........life is a continues change. :mrgreen:

Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun May 18, 2014 16:51

redzed wrote:There is also an obvious error in the Russian sausage recipe in adding 5g of Cure 2 nitrite to 1kg. That works out to 312.5 ppm only with the nitrite, the additional nitrate content in Cure 2 take it into the danger zone. Most Polish recipes (that is sausage made in Poland), have a nitrite content of 120ppm.
Yep, the comminuted limit of 156ppm nitrite here in th US applies to ALL comminuted meat...including dry-cured sausages. I've confirmed this with an FSIS inspection supervisor.

Discussed at the following link in the past... http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... hlight=625
Godspeed!

Bob
Carpster
User
User

Post by Carpster » Mon May 19, 2014 00:30

slickric,
, i think it will work but i need temps to keep fridge at, thickness of butt, does or can i mix prague powder w/ h20 and inject and brine prior to smoking and how many days to dry butts in fridge or sausages.
Did you ever get these questions answered.

It seems the fridge should be at about 65° for cold smoking.
My question is this, are you trying to make a ham out of the pork butt? Are you planning on grinding the pork butt after you cure it for this time period? Do you want to cold smoke a pork butt or are you going to make sausage.

CW will like this comment, my friend is from Croatia and he truly cold smokes pork tenderloins. He cold smokes them for about one month and then he eats them uncooked. The truth is I eat them also and they are delicious!

Steve
slickric

Post by slickric » Mon May 19, 2014 20:03

no, no answers to these questions. pls anyone help. yes pork butts (trimmed), pork loins and sausage. once dried , just put on slicer and eat w/ cheese and crackers and beer. the big question is what temp to set fridge at since i see lots of different numbers. ,i have a marinator which is a thing w/ lots of blades and i could marinate w/ a brine w/ salt, sugar, h20 ,spices, and prague powder2 . does brining in prague powder work (for butts and loins) or only incorporating in sausage meat mix. if my meat is cut to thick ( pork butts ) can the curing agent penetrate to middle of meat?????????????? i dont know. i figured w/ a brine and marinator it would but i dont know??????? does anyone? remember i am not going to cook or bring this up to 155 only coldsmoke so i figure in a fridge w/ a thermostat, my temp would be more accurate than up north outside where the temp fluctuates . another ? what % humidity do i want the fridge at cause i could use Silica gel to keep moisture down and its a dormroom fridge . this was the smoke generator i was going to use so its not going to add much of an increase in temp. so i guess im looking for a tutorial (or confirmation of the one i gave) as to will this work.
1 for butts brine as described above (for 2 weeks in fridge in brine) ( will curing agent work if in brine)
2 smoke as described above 2 hrs per day for 3 days (in running fridge at what temp?)
3 dry in fridge for 2 weeks at what temp and what% humidity? will have fridge running and computer fans running
4 take out and eat (not cook, just eat)

1 for sausage( grind meat , add spices plus cure)
2 put in fridge at what temp and % humidity?
3 smoke 2 hrs a day for 3 days
4 dry for 2 weeks at what temp and % humidity
5 eat out of fridge as is and not cooked
thats as clear as i can get as to what i want to do but still have these questions

this is the smoker i want to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APAJZS0oecQ

thanks
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue May 20, 2014 03:04

Hi Slick,

# 2......The important thing is, that at this time, it's fresh meat, so keep it cold, humidity doesn't matter.

#4......Dry around 52 degrees F. about 75-80 % humidity. Better yet, instead of 2 weeks, dry until the sausages loose 35 % or so weight. (40 % loss is better.) :wink:

The smoking temp, stay below 72 degrees F. It's hard to say where to set the refrigerator, because you'll have fire there, and the temp. will be changing.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue May 20, 2014 03:23

Here is a different picture of my smoking......
I had the smoke generator in a bread box, and piped the smoke into the cabinet, but the generator burner raised the cabinet temp. about 8-10 degrees F.
In the meantime, the water was getting warm too, from the heater of the generator.
Where there is fire.........

Smoking Joe.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 20, 2014 04:19

Topic Split by CW - 051914@2119 See "Cold Smoker" at the following link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... d690#26385
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D