On Getting It Right

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

On Getting It Right

Post by Shuswap » Tue Sep 09, 2014 15:52

Malabar is a Canadian wholesale supplier to the meat processing and retail industries. It has a periodic newsletter and interesting resource library:

http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/news_date.htm

http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/reference.htm

Malabar is HACCP certified (Hazard analysis and critical control points) and I didn`t know what that meant so I looked it up on Wikipedia. The essence of it is to establish points in production where practices are established and monitored to ensure food safety. I think the idea is to prevent problems rather than discover, analyze and remediate or destroy before shipping.

I really appreciate having the WD resource as I embrace the tasty hobby of sausage making. I`ll never be HACCP certified but I have CW`s 32 Sausage Making Tips To Save You Grief, which is always worth reviewing from time to time as they include ccp`s. Participating in the Beginners` sessions also keeps the mind sharp on preventing problems since remediation isn`t really an option.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:45

Shuswap, when our fellow members Jason Story and gorgeous wife Carolina opened their charcuterie store called "Three Little Pigs" in Washing D.C., the HACCP was a constant consideration. Jason worked hard to meet all the requirements of opening a great place for the public to find all sorts of exquisite meats, but found that success really did depend upon a complete understanding of public safety also. The HACCPP nearly drove him nuts but he stayed on top of things and complies with every safety procedure.

Phil, you also wrote:
I really appreciate having the WD resource as I embrace the tasty hobby of sausage making. I`ll never be HACCP certified but I have CW`s 32 Sausage Making Tips To Save You Grief, which is always worth reviewing from time to time as they include ccp`s. Participating in the Beginners` sessions also keeps the mind sharp on preventing problems since remediation isn`t really an option.
I very much appreciate you words. Thank you sir! This is my paycheck. I'm just glad to help.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Sep 09, 2014 23:26

Chuckwagon wrote:he HACCPP nearly drove him nuts but he stayed on top of things and complies with every safety procedure.
Chuckwagon wrote:The HACCPP nearly drove him nuts but he stayed on top of things and complies with every safety procedure.
Do we understand that only too well. In our retirement we raised layers and meat birds until CFIA put us and many other small producers out of business. IMHO what an over exuberant bureaucracy accomplishes is raising the price of food, not necessarily safer food.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 09, 2014 23:57

Phil, our efforts to get ISO certified, back in the 90's, led us to codify all the old, outdated technology, mistakes and all, chiseled in stone. (That company is no longer in business, either. The competition innovated its way right around us.) Safety standards, yes. Standards for standards' sake, no.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.