Sauage fillers?

Double R

Sauage fillers?

Post by Double R » Wed Jan 19, 2011 18:05

What does everyone think about using or not using soy protein, milk solids or even fermento inthere sauages. I understand why there used. Also the engish use a lot of rusk and breadcrumbs. Do you omit these in there recipys. I mostly stick to the meat and the spices. How about you?
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Wed Jan 19, 2011 19:00

I haven't used any of that. Not that I wouldn't they are all natural products, might try them sometime.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 19:12

I use finely ground bread crumbs most of the time if I feel that the last batch of sausage I made was too dry, or I didn't like the "bite through" texture.

I've also used a larger grind of crumbs I've made myself (from toasted bread) for the same reasons as above, but it give a differnt texture as well.

I haven't tried the rusk yet, but an old friend of my father's swears by it.

Just another great facet about our hobby, you can experiment a little at a time with small batches.

Charlie
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 23:20

I have never used a filler in any sausage. A lot of recipes call for either soy protein or dry milk, however personally, I find that the meat, along with the required spices provide enough binder to any sausage that I may want to make. I have found that the end result is superior. Just a personal opinion and the opinions of the "eaters" of the end product.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 22:33

Hello Uncle Buck,

I agree that most of the time the meats, seasonings, etc. will suffice, but some of the fillers (rusk, bread crumbs, etc.) can also provide a moisture difference as well.

Personally, I prefer meat and seasoning, but the family and a couple fof customers really dig the addition of the bread crumbs...

Charlie
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 23:20

I make an english sausage that uses breadcrumbs. It has absolutely become my favorite sausage of all time. One or two of these babies on a plate of mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy :grin: