First Go at 'Emulsified' Sausage, fresh Bockwurst

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

First Go at 'Emulsified' Sausage, fresh Bockwurst

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 18:22

After having success in first foray into sausage-making with the italian, I looked forward to trying something a bit more ambitious.

This time: Bockwurst-a family favorite in the past so there was much noise for me to create something 'as good as' the store-bought versions....

Based upon this recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/bockwurst

This was a bit more complicated than the italians I made. These use two meats, needed to be emulsified before stuffed, and had to be poached before stored.

7 pound of pork and 3 pounds of veal =10 pounds
Fine ground and spices added.

In 2-pound batches in the food processor, I wound up with a big pile of emulsified goodness...

Loaded the cannon stuffer with 10 pounds of the filling & used 32-35mm hog casings.

here they are freshly stuffed. They already smell great (chives, mace, onion)...

I then took a large turkey roaster (both top & bottom) on the stovetop and half-filled them with water. Lightly 'poached' all the links while keeping the water temp approximately 165-170° until the IT on the links was 155°. Then they were cooled in an ice bath once they reached temp.

Post-bath:

Taster's opinions & verdict: a mild sausage with hints of chive, 'nutmeg' (mace), onion. Goes absolutely great with a good german mustard, dijon, or even basic yellow. Thumbs up from all around. More work than anticipated, but the results are a treat!
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 02:20

Nicely done, NorCal!
You're absolutely correct about "more work than anticipated but worth it". :wink: Isn't it odd how those folks who do not make sausage seem to think that great links (like you just made) just magically throw themselves together somehow? Most people don't give it a second thought. Folks who appreciate the high quality of handmade sausages are what this site is all about. Glad you are a part of it! Keep up the good work.
How about including a few more remarks about your experiences with making emulsified sausage? Any tips for our readers?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 14:30

Chuckwagon wrote:Nicely done, NorCal!
How about including a few more remarks about your experiences with making emulsified sausage? Any tips for our readers?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
One of key things I learned about making emulsified sausage is making sure I've plenty of ice-water close at hand while 'processing' the meat into an emulsion. I used a 16oz measuring cup 1/2 full with ice and 1/2 with water and added the water to the mix a bit at a time.

I also learned to NOT overload the food processor. I weighed out approximately 2 lbs per processor load so as not to overheat the motor nor heat up the meat mixture. Depending how large your processor is, loads will vary. By making smaller batches I could ensure good water absorption and keep the meat temp well-chilled (no fat separation). The end result was a 'fluffy' emulsion that had a nice, smooth texture.

I've seen where some folks use ice chips in lieu of ice water in this process. Same concept I assume: water absorption and keeping the mixture temp down.

Regards,

NCK
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 04, 2011 18:25

I have used my grinder sans knife and with a very coarse plate to crush ice for cocktails.
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 21:25

NorCal Kid,
Those look great and I am sure just as tasty! Thanks for sharing. Did you follow the recipe or did you modify it slightly? Also did you use the Whole milk or the Dry Non Fat Milk suggested in the notes section of the recipe? And another question that comes to mind if using the Dry Milk option do you need to increase the amount of liquid accordingly? The recipe does not make metion of adding additonal liquid if using the Dry Milk Option!

Keep up the Great Work,
John
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 04:44

jbk101 wrote:NorCal Kid,
Those look great and I am sure just as tasty! Thanks for sharing. Did you follow the recipe or did you modify it slightly? Also did you use the Whole milk or the Dry Non Fat Milk suggested in the notes section of the recipe? And another question that comes to mind if using the Dry Milk option do you need to increase the amount of liquid accordingly? The recipe does not make metion of adding additonal liquid if using the Dry Milk Option!

Keep up the Great Work,
John
I stayed pretty true to the recipe. Used the whole milk. When doing the emulsifying, I made sure I added PLENTY of ice water for every load so each 2lb batch looked quite moist & sticky.

The end result was very juicy and quite tasty. Very pleased with both the texture & flavor.
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46

Nice work again NCK, I did a similar method recently for Venison Knockwurst (cooked and smoked), I used the Rytek Kutas recipe (10lbs), I probably got a little over anxious and tried to emulsify in larger batches than you suggest, hence I added a little too much water, the end result was a lovely sausage but a little mushy to my liking, others thought it was fine, next time I will mix in smaller amounts, keep up the great posts.