[USA] Fresh Thai Chicken Sausage

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Fresh Thai Chicken Sausage

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 21:09

I thought I'd try something a little different this time instead of the ol' stand-bys of pork & beef. I purchased some chicken thighs & decided to try a chicken sausage using Thai spices.

The fairly extensive list of ingredients. 'Galangal' is a ginger-like spice with some floral hints-very popular in Thai cusine:

I de-boned five pound of chicken thighs, keeping fat, lean & skins. Just under 4 pounds & nearly frozen before the grind:

Using a 4.5mm plate, I ground the chicken with the peanuts & a cup of cooked sticky rice:

In goes the first batch of ingredients: salt, chopped green onions & the coconut milk:

Then added the rest of stuff (brown sugar, galangal, sesame oil, garlic, chili paste, black pepper & cilantro)
The fragrance coming off this mix is excellent! ;D

Well-mixed & ready to stuff into 24mm sheep casings....

Five pounds of fresh Thai chicken sausage. Had a few blow-outs with the delicate sheep casings, but managed to salvage the majority:

Sample time: Very tasty combination of garlic, coconut, cilantro, hint of sesame & peanut ;all those things ones associates with good Thai cooking!
Not as much heat as expected using the chili paste, as it is very subtle. My wife gave it 5-stars! It'd go great with some noodles & stir-fry greens...
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Aug 06, 2011 21:34

Hi NorCal Kid,

That Thai Chicken sausage looks simply divine!

I was also considering making some chicken sausage this weekend, but to a recipe posted earlier on this forum called "Chicken, Feta and Spinach sausage".

Would you mind sharing the volumes of spices you used please? I'd like to try making this Thai sausage in time to come.
best regards
Bubba
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 06, 2011 22:17

Absolutely prime! I often see chicken legs for less than 60 cents per pound.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 00:24

Bubba wrote: Would you mind sharing the volumes of spices you used please? I'd like to try making this Thai sausage in time to come.
best regards
Bubba
Here ya' go , Bubba.

Adjust per your tastes....
For 4 pounds of boned thighs, skin, fat & all.

1 tbl ground galangal (5.5g)(optional, but adds that 'thai' mystique)
1 tbl black pepper(6.0g)
1 tbl sesame oil (15.0ml)
2 tbls brown sugar (22g)
2 tbl Thai hot chili-garlic paste (30ml) (or Sriracha sauce). This amount is pretty mild. Next time I'll probably add a bit more.
30g kosher salt (4 tsp regular salt)
1 cup of chopped cilantro (35g)
1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic (36g)
3 tbl chopped green onion (45g)
1 cup coconut milk
1-1/2 cups roasted & salted peanuts

I used sheep casings & lined 'em every 4.0"

Steamed the links in a bit of water & 'soft' fried (not too hot) until they picked up color & IT hit 165°

-Kevin
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Aug 07, 2011 01:46

Thank you very much!

I will try this, as said earlier, in time to come. It does look like a very flavorful sausage, the kind of flavor that would stand out.

:smile: problem is with all these amazing recipes on this forum, my project list gets longer by the week. But I don't mind, it's fun to do and I have a fair sized freezer to hold a good variety.

many thanks again
Ron
Ron
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 17:58

I guess great minds think alike I also made a couple of batches of chicken sausages today. Great job on yours they almost look emulsified. I moved up to hog cases 29-32 mm they are more forgiving than using sheep cases.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 19:25

Bubba wrote: :smile: problem is with all these amazing recipes on this forum, my project list gets longer by the week. But I don't mind, it's fun to do and I have a fair sized freezer to hold a good variety.
I hear ya, Ron.
Too many good recipes on this forum.

I currently have 12.5lbs of pork ribs currently in brine tucked away in my fridge.
They''ll go in the smoker tomorrow.

Using CW's recipe for his "Rocky Mountain Wrangler`s Rubber Ribs":
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4820
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 05:31

Big Guy wrote:I guess great minds think alike I also made a couple of batches of chicken sausages today. Great job on yours they almost look emulsified. I moved up to hog cases 29-32 mm they are more forgiving than using sheep cases.
I was just checking out the two batches you made, Big Guy! Nicely done!
Another advantage I realize using chicken (vs pork or beef) is my wife was ready for something different ("..pork sausage AGAIN?!") and sh'es very happy with the results.
When she's happy, EVERYONE is happy.

I wound up poaching the whole batch in my turkey roaster (165-170° water until the IT hit 165°, then ice bath & into the fridge.) I'm a bit cautious with raw poultry so this way, its more convenient to prepare & serve. Just brown 'em in a skillet or like I did for dinner-put 'em on a hot grill for few minutes to pick up some color & grill marks.

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Thai Chicken Sausage Revisited....

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 03:59

I asked the family this past weekend what I could make 'sausage-wise' & the unanimous response was "Thai sausage!"-something I made a little over a month ago ( http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5166) and it was very well received. It's been my family's favorite 'sausage'-although my fav is still good spicy Italian....

This time I upped the batch-size to ten pounds (from 4 pounds the last batch) figuring a ten pound batch will last considerably longer.
Same recipe as before...

Got the chicken thighs ground & all the spices added. Mixed well & stuffed into 24mm sheep casings:

Links range from 3" to 5"-depending on how well the sausage maker paid attention...... :wink:

I decided once the links were made, I lightly poach the batch until they were fully cooked. That way, simple quick grilling or frying & you're good to go with no concerns of raw or undercooked poultry.
Everyone in the pool:

Drying after the bath. Once cool, I'll foodsaver some & ziplock the rest.

I love to put these on a hot grill (2-3 minutes tops.).

-Kevin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 04:18

Very nice Kevin. Wow, I bet they are tasty! Do the Thai folks ever smoke these little things? I'm just curious. I really haven't made much chicken sausage at all. I have some in the deep freeze that I should be digging out. My last batch was bland. I believe I'll give your recipe a try and see how it goes. I'm wondering if anyone has added a teaspoon of nitrite (#1) to a 5 lb. batch and smoked it? Perhaps in alder. Anyway, there'll be seconds at your house tonight eh? Good going Reverand.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 05:46

Chuckwagon wrote:Very nice Kevin. Wow, I bet they are tasty! Do the Thai folks ever smoke these little things? I'm just curious. I really haven't made much chicken sausage at all. I have some in the deep freeze that I should be digging out. My last batch was bland. I believe I'll give your recipe a try and see how it goes. I'm wondering if anyone has added a teaspoon of nitrite (#1) to a 5 lb. batch and smoked it? Perhaps in alder. Anyway, there'll be seconds at your house tonight eh? Good going Reverand.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CW, I thought about smoking a portion of the batch (cure#1) just to see how they taste. But once I got going, I failed to separate a portion.
They taste great grilled with some char-marks on 'em, so that's a good sign. A subtle smoke wood might compliment the overall flavor profile, but as is, there's a LOT going on in these little thai-guys: hint of coconut, hot garlic paste, peanuts, onion, cilantro...

-Kevin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 09:04

Yes, you're right Kev. Smoke could easily overpower those delicate flavors. Maybe just a wisp or two while they're on the grill :grin:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Sep 16, 2011 09:51

Hi NorCal Kid,

Those Thai sausages look outstanding, and I bet they taste fantastic.

Pre-cooking then freezing sounds like a greta idea, I'll try that as well on a next batch of Chicken sausage.

:roll: ....wanna catapult some of your Thai sausage over to the east Coast to Bubba's south?
Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 18:32

Bubba wrote: :roll: ....wanna catapult some of your Thai sausage over to the east Coast to Bubba's south?
Hey bubba, I'd love to share 'em ,but at the rate these little guys are disappearing, I might have an ugly uprising if I ship some out.... :mrgreen:

Plenty of good eats in your neck of the woods, though. My brother lived in Charleston for 12+ years & raved about the local viddles. My wife & I paid him several visits over the years & had some great meals there: local oysters, grits, local-made andouille, plus some tasty fried boloney sandwiches (!) at a place just of the Billy graham parkway. Was even brave enough to try some alligator in my travels there.

-Kevin
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 21:26

Kevin
As they say up here in the North East, wicked good job! Thanks for taken the time to share your efforts and the photos.

Wally