[CAN] chicken sausages

Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

[CAN] chicken sausages

Post by Big Guy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 17:53

I finally got around to making up some chicken sausages. Greek style and Thai style

Chicken, Spinach, Feta sausage

5 lbs. deboned and skinned chicken thighs and legs
8 oz. raw baby spinach chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped fine
1/2 lb. Feta cheese, crumbled
1 Tbs. Coarse salt
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. Marjoram
1/2 cup milk powder

5 oz ice water.
Grind chicken in a semi frozen state through a medium plate. Add water and all other ingredients, mix well then stuff into natural casings.

Thai Chicken Sausage

3.5 lbs. chicken chunks
1 bunch cilantro or parsley
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 Tbs. fresh basil
3 Tbs. fresh mint
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 1/2 Tbs. fresh grated ginger
2 Tbs. Thai green curry paste
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

4 oz. ice water

Grind semi frozen chicken through a medium plate, add spices and water mix thoroughly and stuff into hog cases. Link sausage into 5" links and keep in fridge overnight to set the links and meld the spices. Package or eat.

Thai spices and herbs ready to mix

Thai all stuffed

greek all stuffed

taking a fridge nap to set the links and meld the flavours, I'll eat some tomorrow and package the rest

Last edited by Big Guy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:59

Big guy
I whipped up a batch of the Chicken, Spinach, Feta sausage this evening, in the fridge for a nap, will stuff tomorrow. Looks and smells great, I'll post the outcome.
Chow
uwanna
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 01:19

Had to try it, here is a plate of fresh chicken feta & spinach sausage. Delicious stuff will make again.

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Aug 11, 2011 16:56

Hi uwanna,

Those look very good!

I was going to make some last weekend but ran out of time. It's my project for this weekend.

What size casings did you use?
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 22:14

Hey Buuba
Sorry for the delay, working all day. On the casings I used 32mm hog casing. I`m at the end of my casing supply and the casing that you see in the photo seem to be around 29 -30mm, worked out perfect! I guess when you buy casing in bulk you will get a few smaller ones.
As for the recipe, I learned a few things while making the chicken sausage. The recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic, and of course (my wife gives me heck when I do this :mrgreen: ) I added a pinch more; well ok ok a big pinch more. My point is, add what the recipe says, the garlic will over power everything else if you add too much. This recipe is definitely worth the work, the sausage would go great with a pasta dish. One more thing measure the cold water carefully, add a little at a time, too much and I can see the batch becoming too mushy. Oh one more thing, I removed most all fat (left a tiny bit) and no skin went into the grind.
Let us know how you make out.
Chow
Wally
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Aug 12, 2011 00:28

Thank you Wally,

I have some 32mm Hog casings, and I love your pinch+ more of Garlic approach.
They have chicken thighs and breasts on sale here this week, I may substitute some breast meat in there as well, probably 1/3 of weight.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained :grin:
And I will gladly post the results.
uwanna61 wrote:Sorry for the delay, working all day.
I hear you with working all day! I don't take a set lunch break, but while I eat lunch I take the opportunity sometimes to log on and read some on this forum.
Ron
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Aug 15, 2011 09:26

Hi Wally,

An update on this one.
On short notice I had to go out of town the past weekend, and never had time to work on the Chicken sausages. I'm hoping to make them either this weekend or next.
Until then the meat is vacuum packed and frozen. :smile:
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 21:17

Bubba
That`s the beauty of being a home sausage maker, you make it when you have time. Remember if you`re too busy and running flat out, close your mouth you`ll get there quicker :wink:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:15

I finally got around to making some Chicken - Feta - Spinach sausage today. At first I was going to make an early start but my plans did not pan out and I was off to a late start. Tonight the mixture is taking a nap in the refrigerator and I will add the feta and spinach tomorrow (was going to stuff the casings today but it got too late :( ) then I'll post more photos.

3 weeks ago I bought 2 lbs of Chicken breasts and 2 lbs of Chicken thighs, vacuum packed them and froze them. Last night I left the 2 packs in the refrigerator to start defrosting, and by this afternoon they were perfect, still firm frozen but easy to cut with a sharp knife.

Breasts and Thighs cut up and ready to grind.

Close up of the Thighs to show how they were still partially frozen when cut up.

Close up of the Breasts to show how they were still partially frozen when cut up.

The art of grinding meat (frozen grinder plate, blade, housing and feed tray) while taking a photo. :)

All spices mixed in, and ready to take a nap over night. I eventually opted to use a Potato masher to mix, because my hands were getting numb after about 3 swirls of mix. It actually did a great job using the masher.
I will add the Feta and Spinach tomorrow just before stuffing.

(At this point the flavors smell so good, I wonder if one day I should try grilling Chicken Burgers with this after adding feta and spinach and adding something to bind?)

I slightly modified and scaled down for first batch the recipe as posted below, and once stuffed tomorrow I will post more photos:-

Bubba`s version - 4 lbs

2 lbs chicken breast - skinless - boneless
2 lbs chicken thighs - skinless - boneless
4 oz feta cheese
¾ bundle baby spinach
3-1/2 tsp white pepper
3-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 clove garlic, finely cut
3-1/2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp smoked Paprika
4 oz Chicken stock
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:35

Hot dang guys! You hombres can pull up a stump and sit around my campfire anytime! Great photos - great recipes - great work. Keep up the first class craftsmanship.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:37

Bubba
What time we eating, I will need detailed directions to your place. When I lose site of the Green Mountains I start to get a little nervous :razz:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:53

Bubba, why don't you put a neat name on your "modified and scaled down version" and include a few photos of some stuffed into some casings. I would be happy to enter it into September's "Recipe Of The Month" Contest. I'll bet we could even talk Seminole into an autographed copy of one of his "new" copies of "Making Healthy Sausages".

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Sep 11, 2011 20:02

Chuckwagon wrote:You hombres can pull up a stump and sit around my campfire anytime! Great photos - great recipes - great work.
Thank you Chuckwagon
uwanna61 wrote:What time we eating, I will need detailed directions to your place.
I got the sausage and some beer...
Chuckwagon wrote:Bubba, why don't you put a neat name on your "modified and scaled down version" and include a few photos of some stuffed into some casings. I would be happy to enter it into September's "Recipe Of The Month" Contest. I'll bet we could even talk Seminole into an autographed copy of one of his "new" copies of "Making Healthy Sausages".
Again thank you Chuckwagon, in a way I would feel like cheating a little because I got the idea from Big Guy and Uwanna. (don't get me wrong, I would love the book!) I can give it a name though, will think of one. :) Alternatively, if you would also prefer I can do one next weekend with my Boerewors, and give it a name. Friends of mine have asked me to make some 30 lbs :shock: for them for a family gathering. Will be vacuum packing and freezing it in 2 lbs packs and it is going to be some feat for me, that's 6 loads on my 5 lbs stuffer.
I don't make anything on this, and only ask them to refund me for the cost of the ingredients.
But yes, Bubba's Boerewors has evolved into a small but growing fame. :)

...back to the delicacy of Chicken, Spinach and Feta sausage!
Here are the remaining photos from this morning during and after stuffing, and this one is a keeper! here is the update:-

The final mixture, with Spinach and Feta mixed in.

Bubba's still life of the ingredients, chicken stock not shown.

The stuffing process, apology for the bad focus, I forgot that the camera was set to focus on nearest object only.

All twisted and tied up with sausage smilies.

A close up of one link

The final outcome from the grill. I may have over-cooked these first 2 a little (when checked with a thermometer they were already at 165 F), but they were not dry and the ingredient combination is outstanding!
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 21:21

Yummy I can smell them from here :razz:
Good job!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 09:14

I'll say! They are gorgeous. I'll bet they are tasty little things eh? And Bubba, you won't rest now until you make Bubba's Borewors and enter the contest! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon