[AUSL] Pork and Apple sausage

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

[AUSL] Pork and Apple sausage

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 00:42

Pork and apple is a perfect match, eg roast pork and apple sauce. So if that flavour combination combination appeals, you might like this. A simple, interesting taste.

I used 2Kg Pork Neck 80/20
28g salt
3.2g White pepper
120g Grated tart apple
100ml Apple cider

Freeze the fat if adding. Cube the meat, add salt and pepper, overnight in fridge. Grind on coarse plate, add other ingredients, stuff into 32mm hog casing and hang in fridge for 24hrs.

Last edited by snagman on Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:12

Seems interesting but tell us about the other foods on the plate.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:22

ssorllih wrote:Seems interesting but tell us about the other foods on the plate.
Ross,
The other foods on the plate;
Braised red cabbage, sauté dutch cream potatoes with onion, peas, and a "relish" of tomato, green capsicum and onion.
Regards, Gus
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:28

Nice combination. I am still getting my head around the many sausage taste combinations that have been tried and are pleasing. I have made a couple that I told Nancy I didn't believe I would try again. But almost everything I have tried has been pleasing.
I am quite fond of fried apples and sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:43

Yes Ross, the variety is endless. Generally, I don't try sausage recipes which contain too many ingredients, my experience with these is that the meat becomes the background, rather than the soloist.
One of the best sausages I made contains chuck steak, salt and pepper. The beef is king there.

Gus
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 07:42

Hey Gus,
This really looks tasty. Nice job crafting the sausages & great photos too. What are you going to call this sausage? Have you got an original name for the index?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 07:53

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey Gus,
This really looks tasty. Nice job crafting the sausages & great photos too. What are you going to call this sausage? Have you got an original name for the index?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thank You, Chuckwagon,

Geez, don't know......... pommepigg........pigpomme....... grannypig (the apple I used was a Granny Smith) piggranny....... years ago, pigs were routinely fed rotten or unmarketable apples ....
I need maybe to down a couple of Calvados to get there mate !
Can we ask the forum for a leg up ?
Maybe try the recipe, then a name might suggest itself, could just be a four letter word....
Regards, Gus
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Nov 07, 2011 13:21

Gus,

Nice looking sausage. I'm really curious how the texture of the cooked sausage was. I ask because I have made a turkey apple sausage before (sauteed the apple first though) and the sausage was very "wet". I decided that next time I make it I would squeeze all the liquid from the apple first. My fear of course is losing flavor from the liquid.

I do believe the pork may have a bit better water holding capacity that the turkey so that would help yours, however you used much more liquid as an ingredient than I did.
regards,

Dave Zac
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 07, 2011 13:29

Slicing the apples instead of grating will not rupture so many cells and drying them a little in the oven may help with the excess moisture.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 23:05

Dave Zac wrote:Gus,

Nice looking sausage. I'm really curious how the texture of the cooked sausage was. I ask because I have made a turkey apple sausage before (sauteed the apple first though) and the sausage was very "wet". I decided that next time I make it I would squeeze all the liquid from the apple first. My fear of course is losing flavor from the liquid.

I do believe the pork may have a bit better water holding capacity that the turkey so that would help yours, however you used much more liquid as an ingredient than I did.
regards,

Dave Zac
Dave Zac,
Thanks for the review. The texture was moist, not much more so than any newly minted sausage which has had one day drying in the fridge. The apples being grated, meant more moisture was released from them before adding to the mix. I think the cider was instrumental in the moisture level more than the apples. Interestingly, the next two sausages I cooked, the day after, were less moist than the first two. I did take a photo of the cut sausage, but it was out of focus. Don't think digital, everyday cameras do a good job of extreme closeups. Next time I would use dried apples, and apple juice, not cider. The taste was unmistakeable pork, with a sweet/tangy flavour. And, I think you are right, the flavour is more in the liquid than the apple.
Regards, Gus
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Nov 08, 2011 01:04

Hi Snagman,

I just had dinner and when I saw your good looking plate of food I was hungry again! :smile:

That's a very interesting recipe, and more so interesting as you said in your last posting that the day after they were not as moist.
Would like to hear how you prefer them next time with dried apples and apple juice.
During December I want to stuff some more pork sausage and at that time I will set a sample portion of the pork aside to mix to your recipe, but also using dried apples and apple juice.

I'm also trying to think of a name for this sausage recipe......
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 01:15

Bubba,
Gus does that to me everytime, whenever he loads photo's and recipes on the forum, I am starting to get hunger pains.
The same with his Csabai sausages, I just can't stop breaking bits off between meals.
I definitely will blame Gus If I put on weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gus, that plate of food looks wonderfull.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:26

Bubba wrote:Hi Snagman,

I just had dinner and when I saw your good looking plate of food I was hungry again! :smile:

That's a very interesting recipe, and more so interesting as you said in your last posting that the day after they were not as moist.
Would like to hear how you prefer them next time with dried apples and apple juice.
During December I want to stuff some more pork sausage and at that time I will set a sample portion of the pork aside to mix to your recipe, but also using dried apples and apple juice.

Hello Bubba,

Thanks mate for the comments. I think dried apple would have a better/concentrated flavour, and apple juice wouldn't have the aeration which cider does, so I think that might be an improvement. That said, I prefer a juicy sausage to a dry one. Also, the neck is a fattier part of our friend the pig, leaner cuts would be different too.
Regards, Gus
No luck with a name yet.......
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 15:13

Name? That's easy... how about "Down Under Thunder"? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 07:31

Bubba wrote:Hi Snagman,

Bubba,

Another tweak if you are going to try these - starting with say 200ml of apple juice, simmer until reduced by 50 - 60% to concentrate apple flavour ? We do that to intensify sauces so.......

Regards, Gus