[SWE] Swedish Prinskorv

Mac89

Re: [SWE] Swedish Prinskorv

Post by Mac89 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 00:53

First off I really appreciate the OP for this post. Though I tweaked his recipe a bit the procedure turned out great results. I did a lot of searching for a recipe for this sausage, couldn't even find or get one from a Swedish food group. I substituted the veal with chicken breast as this is a similarly lean and tasteless piece of meat as well as being readily available. I could not say the same about veal without butchering my own. I ended up with two recipes below only changing the percentages of the meats. In the end the consensus of the Christmas party last night was the 2nd recipe with a higher percentage of pork was preferred for texture and moistness. I could not get sheep casings in time for this process so I just used the 28-30mm casings I had. During the fermentation I kept the sausage in a sealed container to maintain humidity. I hung to dry for two to three hours before smoking at 140F for 90-120 minutes. I finished the sausages in the sous vide at 140F for 90 minutes.
IMG_7126.jpg
IMG_7125.jpg
IMG_7095.jpg
IMG_7096.jpg
IMG_7079.jpg
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 19, 2022 19:09

Sausages look very nice! Something I'll have to try down the road. Regarding your issues in the batch where you broke the emulsification, can you describe what you did in the process and the temps at the start and end. I can't see the dextrose having any effect on the emulsion.
Mac89

Post by Mac89 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 02:11

Thanks Red. The batch that broke got dry and a mealy texture was done the same as all my other batches. The meats were around 37F when hand mixed and stuffed. I had ground up in bulk approximately 20lbs of pork shoulder and 10lbs of chicken breasts for this project so I was using the same meat for each 1000g batch I made while adjusting the recipe. Trying to keep things as consistent as possible even using the same yogurt and cream for each batch. I was wanting more tang in the sausage so I tried adding 2g of dextrose thinking this would feed the cultures in the yogurt. I let it ferment at approximately 80F for 24 hours in a sealed container to maintain humidity before hanging them to dry for two hours at 65-70F. Then off to the smoker for 90 minutes at 140F. After smoking I bagged the links and finished them sous vide at 140F for 90 minutes. I used this same procedure for every batch I did and this one with the dextrose is the only one that got dry and kind of crumbly. We still ate it but it was not as good as the other batches with no dextrose added. This got me scratching my head wondering if it was a fluke, not to mention adding the dextrose did not give the sausage the tang I was looking for. So I did another batch with 2g of dextrose making sure I really got a good mix in case that was the issue with the first dextrose batch. This second try with dextrose yielded a similar result as the first one though not quite as severe. The sausage was drier with a crumbly texture compared to other batches with no dextrose with little to no increase in tanginess. Maybe I need to try adding more or a different yogurt for the cultures to work on the dextrose. I had read your post about using yogurt as a starter culture and was sure I would get similar results but I missed the mark. I'm pleased with the current recipe but can't say I won't tinker with different ingredients down the road. I used whole milk yogurt with seven cultures and heavy whipping cream 40% milk fat.
IMG_7132.jpg
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Thu Dec 22, 2022 06:32

Very interesting.