[USA] Cactus Jack's Kabanosy

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Cactus Jack's Kabanosy

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 22:57

"Cactus Jack`s Kabanosy"
(Kabonosy made with collagen casing)

Author Stan Marianski, says kabanosy is the "finest meat stick in the world"! And he`s right. Stan says in his native Poland, a "kabanek" is a young pig less than 264 pounds (120 kg.) in weight. This recipe is very close to Stan`s own, found in his superb book, "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages". Stan is also one of the founders of the Polish forum Wedliny Domowe.

Cactus Jack`s kabanosy recipe is for folks with little access to sheep casings, or those who find sheep casings too expensive. In Australia, believe it or not, it is becoming difficult to find. In America, it is getting quite expensive. This recipe uses 19 mm collagen casing. Part of the reason I chose kabanosy as part of Project B, was to introduce folks to collagen casings if they`ve never tried them. One of our members has posted his recipe for kabanosy, again very similar to Stans, but he is adamant about not using anything but sheep casing. Why not make up your own mind? You may even wish to try both. I like 22 mm collagen casing for kabanosy, but that doesn`t mean you have to. Why not give it the benefit of the doubt and try something new. That`s what Project B is all about.

10 lbs. Pork butt
4-1/2 tblspns. kosher salt
2 level tspns. Prague Powder #1
3 tblspns. black pepper (freshly ground)
1 cup water
19 mm. collagen casings
2 tspns. sugar
3/4 tblspn. nutmeg
1 tblspn. caraway seeds

Separate the fat from the lean using a sharp knife, and cut the meat into 2" cubes. Freeze the fat and semi-freeze the lean. Grind the pork using the 3/8" plate and the fat using a 3/16" plate. Work with small batches, refrigerating the meat and fat at every opportunity. Mix the meat with all the ingredients only enough to barely develop a meat paste. Use as little added water as possible. My friend and fellow moderator Miroslaw Gebarowski (Maxell) told me long ago that in Poland, the meat for this particular sausage is not mixed as thoroughly as others although the correct texture of this meat stick depends upon some development of the proteins while mixing, and the slow, gradual, heating during the cooking step. Once, I even tried emulsifiying this sausage as an experiment. Miroslaw would probably slap me, but I found that it gave the sausage an interesting extra chewy texture. Note that most sausage makers in Poland claim their secret of this particular sausage is in NOT developing the proteins in the meat at all in this particular sausage.

Use a long, non-tapered, stainless steel nozzle if you have one. Note that 19 millimeters equal 0.748 of an inch and it will pull over a 1/2" OD stuffing tube while taking the "accordion folds" out of it. Pull as much collagen casing onto the tube as possible, keeping everything dry as possible. This casing does not use water - it slides along a dry surface. Extrude the meat and make 3 foot lengths if your table is long enough, or form coils if not. Simply pinch the end of the casing and begin filling it. After a few inches have entered the casing, let it go and move the sausage along as it comes from the stuffer. I like to cut 12" sections with a pair of scissors, laying them on a smoke screen to dry just before smoking them.

Smoke-cook using your favorite wood. (There is no hickory in Poland). Use a preheated 120°F. (49°C.) smokehouse and after 45 minutes, raise the smokehouse temperature to 160°F. (71°C.), until the internal meat temperature reaches 145° (63°C.) in less than half an hour. Monitor the meat temperature carefully and do not allow it to overcook. The entire cooking time should be less than 90 minutes, as the diameter of the sausages is much smaller than most others. When the internal meat temperature of the kabanosy reaches 145° F, remove them to cool. Don`t use cold water on collagen casings as it will affect the texture of the casings. I like to use a portable fan to help with the blooming of these sausages. After a few hours, refrigerate the sausages wrapped in paper towels for a few days to reduce moisture, shrink, and bloom. If you can wait, they are best after about 4 or 5 days drying. This is a perishable product and should be kept refrigerated.

Notes:

Remember, light collagen casings will not support the weight and coils (or sticks) must be placed on wire screens. Don`t bother tying links. Simply cut the kabanosy into desired lengths with scissors prior to drying and smoking. Store the snack sticks in paper sacks in a refrigerator. Kabanosy may be vacuum packaged and frozen successfully - otherwise it will harden as it continues to dry.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
vstyn

Post by vstyn » Sat Nov 23, 2013 17:42

Chuckwagon

I followed your recipe, and just put them in the smoker. Kind of cold today in Buffalo ny 33 degree to smoke. But in the end, I sure they will be good. If I wanted to make them hotter, I just add more pepper.
I need to learn dry sausage
vstyn

Post by vstyn » Sat Nov 23, 2013 17:56

here the pic
I need to learn dry sausage
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 18:44

I'm like to put a little extra pepper in mine too, Vstan. I'm sure you'll like it. I've found that good ol' black pepper gives it just the right flavor and kick. Hope yours turns out well. Keep us posted.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Cactus Jack's kabonosy

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 04:33

After seeing CW's post of this Kabonosy recipe, I had to give it a shot.

I added some garlic and red pepper flakes. If this violates any international bylaws of proper Kabonosy ingredients, I apologize and will not refer to them as Kabonsy from this
point on :wink:

All stuffed into sheep casings and air drying with a small fan

It took about an hour to get them dried and then into the smoker

After about 2 hours they hit 145° IT so I pulled them and let them bloom for a few hours

After blooming, I wrapped them in towels and put them in the fridge to continue drying.
This is a shot of them after three days and they are coming along nicely.

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 06:26

Well Goat, don't be surprised if the sausage police come and take you away to prison where they will feed you nothing but vegetables! :lol: Actually the term Kabanosy no longer applies to sausages made with meat from young fat "kabaneks" and basic seasonings. There are occasional debates about it on the Polish WD forum, but the purists are losing the battle. It is now acceptable to call almost any thin diameter sausage Kabanosy. And there are many variations sold in Poland today, including those made with poultry, rabbit and even salmon.

And your kabanosy look great. You must have done everything right as far as the smoking temps and time and they dried perfectly. Lot better than my last batch that I overbaked to the extreme.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 06:38

redzed - Thank you, I appreciate the comments :grin:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Feb 16, 2014 17:56

Your Kabanosy look beautiful! Might I ask what size sheep casing you used, 24-26mm? I'm hearing the 20-22mm is very difficult to work with. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:09

Thank you Ray :grin: I used 20mm sheep casings from "The Sausage Maker". They can be hard to work with while the biggest challenge may be finding the correct stuffing tube.

The pressure needed to stuff these requires more steam than I have these days :lol: I am lucky in that my stuffer has two speeds so I use the smaller gear for small diameter casings. It takes some time but they come out very nice.

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:12

Thanks for that GG! I think I'll just order a couple of packs from Cabelas and see what happens, it's almost free on my gift cards and I really don't stuff enough small stuff to warrant a whole hank. Torque is no problem at all. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:57

sawhorseray wrote:Torque is no problem
Ha Ha That is great :lol: :lol:

High torgue horsepower beats old man shoulder power every time, well done :lol:

I have been eye balling the motor/foot petal attachments for awhile but I haven't pulled the trigger. How is it working out for you?
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:31

Hey Grey Goat, those look fantastic. I have only used collagen casings for my Kabanosy. I really like the look; I'll have to give lamb casing a try, but right now I only have 22-24mm on hand.

Jim
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:32

Looking good Gray Goat! I gotta eat my current ones up so I can try again and get my cooking time down to yours!
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 04:25

two_MN_kids - I'm sure that casing size would work fine, adjust your cooking and drying times and all is good.

checkerfred - I think it helps a lot to dry them outside of the smoker before smoke cooking.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:20

Gray Goat wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:Torque is no problem
Ha Ha That is great :lol: :lol:

High torgue horsepower beats old man shoulder power every time, well done :lol:

I have been eye balling the motor/foot petal attachments for awhile but I haven't pulled the trigger. How is it working out for you?
I love working with the foot pedal Gray Goat. I had one for my grinder / stuffer before I got the dedicated vertical stuffer that came with the motor. Not only does it save wear and tear on old arthritic shoulders, it allows for keeping both hands free just for the stuffing process, making things a lot easier. RAY

Topic Split 031714@0730 by CW - See the following link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=24917#24917
Last edited by sawhorseray on Mon Mar 17, 2014 14:30, edited 1 time in total.