Would anyone like to test a Beef and Tomato Sausage for me?

vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Would anyone like to test a Beef and Tomato Sausage for me?

Post by vagreys » Fri Dec 23, 2011 02:34

I originally developed this recipe for someone asking for a recipe that used beef, tomato purée, thyme, and sage, and whatever else. I'm allergic to beef and can't eat it, anymore, but I thought this sounded good. I used my sausage workbook in Excel to develop this.

Some friends made it this weekend and said everyone loved it. They made it uncased, forming sausages of it and rolling the sausages in flour before frying in a skillet. I think it would be good stuffed in medium hog casing and allowed to develop for a day before cooking. I'd appreciate some feedback from fellow sausage makers who can eat beef!

Beef and Tomato Sausage

3000 g minced beef
1000 g minced pork back fat or pork belly
520 ml red wine reduction/beef stock mixture*
2.7 g ground thyme
3.5 g ground sage
3.5 g ground oregano
1.0 g parsley flakes
6.2 g onion powder
4.5 g granulated garlic
53 g salt
19 g black pepper, med. ground
4.5 g ground ginger
tomato purée**

*About the wine reduction/beef stock mixture. I leave it as a matter of taste about how much red wine reduction to use, if any. You could use all beef stock, or whatever suits for liquid. I would dissolve the salt into the liquid, and steep the seasonings in it, for awhile, too, for even distribution through the mince, but there are many techniques to use and that is up to you.

**About tomato purée. This depends on where you are and what you mean by the term. In the UK, tomato purée most often refers to what is called tomato paste in the US. Tomato purée in the US is about half the concentration of tomato paste. I'm estimating about 132 ml tomato purée (US) for the quantity in this recipe (about 33 ml/kg of meat block) or about 16 ml of tomato paste combined with 16 ml of water per kg of meat block.

You could adjust everything to taste, add rusk, change the type and amount of liquid, change the fat, etc. I thought about beef, tomato purée, thyme and sage, and where I would want that to go. Gravy came to mind, so I thought some of the flavors of gravy might make a good combination. Just an idea and kind of off the top of my head.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:01

I just learned that my friends reduced the wine by about 66%, and used that as 1 part wine reduction to 2.5 parts beef broth to make up the total liquid.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.