Salami di Alessanddra

uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 01:46

Hey all
Aaron I have to say I`m impressed with your project looks professionally done! Great job on the curing chamber build, can`t help to notice the gauges in your cabinet. I have had those moments setting up all those gauges, thinking if I have one more reading it will be spot on, well I hope you have plenty of hair. Stick to one temperature and humidity read out, and you won`t have any bold spots on top. Aaron don`t worry, If all went well (as it looks like it did) with the start of your project, example the grind, mix and fermentation process, you should be good to the end! As CW would say, you will have salami so good your tonsils will be jealous :wink: Good job!
Wally
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:21

uwanna61 wrote:Hey all
Aaron I have to say I`m impressed with your project looks professionally done! Great job on the curing chamber build, can`t help to notice the gauges in your cabinet. I have had those moments setting up all those gauges, thinking if I have one more reading it will be spot on, well I hope you have plenty of hair. Stick to one temperature and humidity read out, and you won`t have any bold spots on top. Aaron don`t worry, If all went well (as it looks like it did) with the start of your project, example the grind, mix and fermentation process, you should be good to the end! As CW would say, you will have salami so good your tonsils will be jealous :wink: Good job!
Wally
Wally And Chuckwagon,
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post. When Chuckwagon asked me to get close ups I was so worried he had spotted some kind of problem with the mold on the salamis ( I confess, Im a worry wart). I really appreciate the proffessionalism and help on this forum. Thanks again Guys!!!!
Aaron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 06:18

You are most welcome sir! Now, just stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Salami Question

Post by Keymaster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 02:43

Hi Gang,
I just weighed my Salami di alessandra and two of the heaviest ones were 2 pound 15 ounces+- at the start They weigh just a little over a month drying in 3" casings 1 pound 9 ounces.
I was expecting to wait 2 months but they have lost over 30% of their green weight.
I want to slice them open as I feel they may be done but wanted the Forums advice?

Thanks,
Aaron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:41

Hi Aaron,
Sounds like you'd better slice the end off one and have a close look and a well-deserved taste. Oh yes, experimental of course! Be sure to take a good photo and post it.

Uwanna is going to like to hear about this. He can make this stuff in the dark! Some guys just have the touch and I believe Wally could do it with only one hand. :lol: Sounds like you might have a pretty good handle on the stuff yourself! Nice going.

Oh, by the way, there is no set limit of time. In fact, time is the wrong way to measure this stuff because everyone's RH and environmental circumstances all differ. The sausage is done when the weight loss, the pH, and the Aw is correct.

One more thing... did the additional Bactoferm 600 spray help with the yellowing of the mold?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 13:41

Chuckwagon wrote:One more thing... did the additional Bactoferm 600 spray help with the yellowing of the mold?
I think I'll slice some up tonight after work, Thanks Chuckwagon!!!

After I received your PM to spray more M-600 on the Salami's I took the Distilled water out of the garage (about 40°F) to warm up to 70 ° F inside the house. by the time the water warmed up we had a snow and ice storm and lost power for three days. I never got a chance to spray more m-600 on the salamis. The Cure chamber actually went down to about 42° F for three days which I think may have shocked the m-600 on the salamis . I'll take pictures after work. I don't have any PH paper yet, I think I remember reading in Project A That a few people did not use it either and just went off weight loss, Is it ok to taste test without checking PH?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 00:41

Sure Aaron,
If the weight loss is 30% and it passes the taste-test, then it is ready.... by all means! :mrgreen:
I'd like to see a photo (fat content) of your final product. Also check for the structure of the texture. It should be hardened. If there are patches of soft or "mushy" meat and fat, then you might have to wait a little longer. Everyone's conditions differ. Sometimes, you just have to endure. Other times, it will come out perfect without a worry. It's an environmental thing.
Hey Aaron, did you know that you and Dick (DLFL) have the same last name. Yup, you guys are probably cousins!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 02:07

I stopped by a Beer supply store after work and picked up some ph test strips. My best guess is the salami is about 5.3 PH. After I cut the salami open it was a bit of disappointment as I saw the outer ring which shows it dried to fast. I know exactly why to, the fan I used was to high in volume. It really did not taste to bad, but not exactly good either. Here are some pictures.

The casings are impossible to pull off and are the inedible type, is it because they dried to fast?
I think this was a great learning experience and will jump in the saddle again real quick. Less fat next time I think, a fan that blows real slow. Thanks for everyones nice comments and help!!!
My Dads Name is Richard but he goes by Dick, We very well could be related :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 02:50

Great photos Aaron. All in all, a very nice job for your first time. However, if I may make just a few suggestions, here they are:
The "dry rim" (case hardening) is indicative of excessive drying as the result of too fast air velocity and/or too low humidity. Also, I believe the sausage may be just a bit fatty. Why not carefully measure the added fatback to the "lean" pork. For some reason, most beginners seem to dry their product too quickly at first. Many also add too much fat to the mixture. There should be just enough fat to make the mouthfeel slightly lubricated, although fat has very much to do with the final flavor also.
Your project has been a success! Congratulations. After all, you learned a great deal didn't you? Now... adjust sufficiently and wisely according to your notes. Your next batch will be something worth writing home about!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon