SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 20:10

Every time I look at that photo, I am DROOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can go in the local rural produce SHOWS and win FIRST prizes with all of it.
Marvellous!!!!!
Jan.
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:18

Redzed this formulation is kind of a bastardization. I saw the lukanka on a TV show and was intrigued by the pressed shape. I did a little research and found different recipes across the 'net, used google translate to read a bulgarian site that I found and then I talked to a bulgarian friend about what he remembered about this sausage.

I really like that sausage for the complex taste with cumin up front and savory on the back end. The shape comes from pressing the the sausage between 1x6 wooden planks that are bolt tightened. You could also roll it with a rolling pin the first few days of dry curing.

I will say I figure out my formulations slightly differently. I base everything off of the primary meat weight. In this case it is lean pork loin.

Pork Loin 1000g
Fat Pork 25.000% 250g
Salt 3.500% 35g
Cure #2 0.333% 4g
Dextrose 0.333% 4g
Cumin 0.333% 4g
Garlic Powder 0.333% 4g
T-SPX 0.015% 1g (i always use more 5g)
savory 0.333% 4g

I stuffed into protien lines casings because the are strong and can handle to pressing.

Ferment for 72 hours at 68 degrees.

Hope this helps
Butterbean

Longaniza Cubano Calente

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:16

Thought I'd make some smoked sausages today. I found one of Len Poli's recipes and thought it sounded interesting and he has never let me down so far so I thought I'd give it a go but with a few tweeks to suit what I had.

Mixed the spices and the meat together and used jalapena peppers rather than habenera. I also mixed everything together and let it sit in the cooler a while before grinding rather than grind and then let it rest.

Meat looks real interesting and I look forward to testing the sausage.

Stuffed the casings and let them dry and get tacky then stuck them in Wilbur at 150F ' ish for their pecan smoke bath. I have another 5 lbs of another sausage behind these.

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 02:21

Did you by any chance hold back a couple of chicken thighs and grill 'em? That looks like it would be a good marinate-and-grill recipe, too.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Falls work has paid off

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 03:33

workingpoor wrote:I have been meaning to post the results of some of my work.

Clockwise it is Coppa, Fenne Pollen Salami, Bresaola, Slow Cured Pepperoni and Lukanka (middle).

[url=http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9922/drycure.jpg]Image[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That is some fine looking work there brother!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 03:54

Hickory smoked kabanosy after drying for 5 days. Perfect!!

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 18, 2013 04:45

It would at that. I've made a jerky with a similar combination and it was pretty good.

Pulled the sausages. The one on the right is a scottish sausage and the one on left is the cuban.

Here they are on a plate in reverse order along with some cabbage dishes. The cuban sausage has a hint of sweet pineapple then it changes more to paprika then a very small hint of the hot pepper. Its pretty good. Would be good served by itself as a meat.

grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 05:05

I just made some today. Had to finish them off in the oven after smoking. Only got up to 20 deg's today. Smoker won't keep up. My question is did you dry them at room temp or in a brown bag in the fridge. reason I ask is because I did have a little to much water in mine. The last batch I did I bloomed them for three days. At room temp.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 05:19

grasshopper wrote:I just made some today. Had to finish them off in the oven after smoking. Only got up to 20 deg's today. Smoker won't keep up. My question is did you dry them at room temp or in a brown bag in the fridge. reason I ask is because I did have a little to much water in mine. The last batch I did I bloomed them for three days. At room temp.
I had it in the fridge at 40F about 75% humidity. Hanging in the fridge uncovered. I've done it at room temp before and it only took a day and a half for me.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27

Well I made it back home and figured I would go ahead and use up the last of my venison, beef trim, and pork. So, I made some olive loaf from Len Poli, some summer sausage, recipe from our very owne Chuckwagon, and some bologna from Wedliny and thanks to all of them everything turned out very tasty.

everything set to go in to the olive loaf

all set for the bologna plus about 10 colves of garlic finley minced

and on to Chuckwagons summer sausage

second grind after freezing. My mix for the bologna and for the olive loaf, Refrozen and ground one more time.

summer sausage spiced, ground and going for a 48hr fridge nap.

48hrs later in to the smoker

After everything is said and done it is all worth it. :mrgreen:

olive loaf

bologna

summer sausage

bagged and sealed :grin:

Isn't it funny how when your making sausage all the freeloaders show up?

Don't worry... who could say no to a face like that?
Everything came out very good. Thanks again Chuckwagon, Len Poli, and to the Wedliny site. You have to love this site and great people here. :mrgreen:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24

Huck, you've done it again! That looks fabulous. I don't think the folks know how far you have to travel to get to work. Maybe you should mention where you work. Are you off for a while now? Your dog looks pretty cool... and those eyes are... well, just give him another slice of summer sausage eh?
Nice work pal. Keep it up!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 19, 2013 17:42

Huck ole' boy, great looking (and I'm sure even better tasting stuff)! Thanks for posting the report and pics. Can you tell us what were the meat proportions in the summer sausage? I still have some venison in the freezer that needs attention.
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:04

No problem... I used 10 lbs. Venison, 3lbs pork (Boston Butt), 5lbs beef trim about 80/20, and 2lbs back fat. And the mix came out great.
And don't you know I got a call from work today... looks like the weather is bad and they won't need me until the middle of next week... That's just too bad. I won't have to drive back to New Orleans right away.
YIPPIE!!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:47

Huck,
What a great post!!!!!! Recipes and photo's as well. Very informative.
Thank you for posting.
Jan.
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 09:55

Hey Jan, thanks... if you want links I would be more than glad to give them.
I enjoy trying new recipes so I use a lot of different recipes from a lot of different people. If you or anyone has any questions you would like me to answer I would be more than glad to try.
But the truth is, there are a lot more knowledgeable people on this site. People like the esteemed Mr. Chuckwagon and they are much better equipped to give recipes and advice. Pictures are more my speed.
Thanks again :mrgreen:

By the way I was nosing through the site and found your photos of the cookouts in Argentina. Loved em. Did you ever get an invite to one?