SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun May 08, 2011 23:01

Hallertau is a German based hop which if you're not a beer person is the ingredient in beer that provides the bitterness and much of the aroma (more info here: Hallertau Hops ) Made a base mustard and included the hops...the bitterness as a great foil for the slightly spicy mustard and the tart kraut. It also cut through the fat in the hot dogs really nicely. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished project as I had the dog in one hand and tongs in the other. No rest for the weary.

The funny thing about a gathering of home-brewers is the second they see an empty glass it gets filled with their latest creation. I lost count of the number of times my glass was filled up while I was manning the grill, thankfully the glass only held about 3 oz.

I also had the chance to try a commercial sausage which I haven't done in quite some time. In this case they were Johnsonville bratwurst and I've got to tell you, they were terrible. Way too fatty and overly flavored of sage which reminded me more of a breakfast sausage than a brat. At least that was my take on things...totally gross.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 08, 2011 23:51

I am even more anxious to make my own sausage now.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 01:15

Hey Jer,

I would really appreciate a recipe for the mustard, even if it's only an approximation.

I KNOW that I speak for all of us on the subject of commercial 'sausage.' Disgraceful does not cover it adequately. You have to wonder how many lips and rectums you have eaten over the years. There has been no commercial 'sausage' in our home since my visit to a meat processing plant in 1974.
The cutting floor was located on the second storey. There were probably 30 butchers breaking down quarters of beef and pork. A few of them were processing heads.
The trimmings landed on the floor. A couple of guys with squeegies policed the situation, pushing said trimmings through strategically located holes in the floor. They dropped into large containers on the first floor. When I asked what was done with that meat, the answer was 'sausage.'
I realize that sanitary standards have improved greatly in 45+ years but the basic procedures have not changed one iota.
Sorry about the rant. I'm a little sensitized to this subject.

On a lighter note; and I swear that this is a true story: My wife and I were visiting Vancouver a few years ago. Often called Hongcouver, the city has a large Asian population. For the sake of interest I'm including a link to illustrate my point.

http://vancouver.about.com/od/historyla ... wntour.htm

I digress; my wife and I were shopping in a huge Asian market. It was most impressive with many ingredients we had never seen or heard of before. At the fresh meat display, I noticed an unfamiliar product labelled 'Pig Vaginas.' I asked the young gal behind the counter, "What do you do with these?" Her coy, smiling reply, "stuff them with meat of course."
Put yourself in this situation and imagine how you would react. Our bellies are still sore from laughing. You will not likely find any relevant information on the 'net as it is probably considered a 'taboo' subject. At the end of the day, it is an intestine and has no doubt been used for centuries as a casing for sausage.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon May 09, 2011 02:51

Funny you should mention your visit to the local Asian grocer. I've noticed pig uterus many times at my local asian grocer and always wondered what they used it for. Future project anyone? What on earth would you name that sausage?!?! But now I too digress.... :shock:

Is this the best place to post the mustard recipe?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 09, 2011 04:50

Hi Jerbear,
Nice going. Great photos and it sounds like your project was a "real weaner" :shock:
Hey, you said your parents picked up the casing for you. Did they see the photos too? Better yet, did you save a few for them to grill?
Go ahead a post your mustard recipe here as it certainly goes with your incredible hot dogs. Wow, I can almost taste them from here. What will your next project be?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 04:57

JerBear wrote: Is this the best place to post the mustard recipe?
I think that conversation has reached its limits. :lol:

The mustard recipe, if posted here will be moved by Monsieur Buckaroo - Cordon Bleu, Moderator extraordinare. (Providing that he is well enough.) The poor guy suffers from a number of ailments. I'm sure that 50% of them are due to altitude the remainder, attitude.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon May 09, 2011 05:28

Chuckwagon wrote:Did they see the photos too? Better yet, did you save a few for them to grill?
My parents were given a couple but they haven't eaten them yet. I'd like to try the recipe with sheep casings but they went over so well I'm not so sure now.

[USA] Hallertau Hops Mustard

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 grams hallertau hop pellets (available from your local home brew store or homebrewing friend)
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice (I used bread and butter pickle juice)
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup mustard seed

Combine all the dry ingredients (except the mustard seeds) in a microwave safe bowl (no need to bust up the pellets) and combine the liquids in a separate bowl. Grind the mustard seeds in a spice mill (aka coffee grinder dedicated to spice grinding) for at least 60 seconds but I found that much more than that wasn't necessary. Combine all ingredients in the microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 60 seconds.

When done blend with a stick blender for another 60 seconds.

So far I've found that the mustard comes out too liquidy so I reduced it slightly on the stovetop and added a cornstarch slurry. I haven't had enough time with the recipe to come up with an accurate quantity of liquid to skip the reduction and slurry (working on that and amendment will come when available).

And lastly, go ahead a skip the hops but the mustard tastes hotter.
Last edited by JerBear on Wed May 11, 2011 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 09, 2011 06:25

Nice recipe Jer, I've just got to try it out right away.
Never mind that northern nut! He's been trying to peel his M&M's again! Steelchef is in the advanced stages of CRS disease - a debilitating and degenerative deterioration of the memory. The poor devil never gave up snorting Fermento. At first, Steelchef began to forget merely names. Then he began to forget faces too. Not long after that, he was forgetting to pull his zipper up. Alas, he now forgets to pull it down!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 06:41

Thanks for sharing this recipe. We like Wasabi a lot so I`ve already developed ideas to modify it a tad. Who wooda thought, hops in mustard?
I`ve tracked down the owner of the local U-Brew and she does have Hallertau hops. She gets them from New Zealand of all places. They are expensive as would be expected. She wasn`t too excited about being contacted on Mother`s Day but whatever.
Our many mustard varieties always include equal amounts of mustard powder and AP flour. Consistency has never been a problem. I would suggest that you re-evaluate the 1-1/4 cups of liquid to 1/2 cup of mustard or add something like flour or tapioca to absorb said fluids.
I`ve also found that microwaving alters some fundamental properties of many ingredients. It can also kill many beneficial components. Natural, unpasteurized honey, for instance has many health benefits associated. Put it in the Nuke to soften and it`s reduced to a sweetener, period. The same applies to most everything as the microwaves agitate the nuclei to create heat.
When you cook vegetables in the mIc, at least 70% of the nutrition is destroyed by this effect. (We still use it to pre-cook baked potatoes and nuked asparagus is the best.)
I`m going to follow your recipe, adding ½ cup of flour. Will let you know how it turns out. Then I`ll make a batch with added Wasabi. I can almost taste it now!
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon May 09, 2011 06:58

wow steel...way too many great ideas at once. If you don't use the microwave do you make your mustard fully only the stovetop? I like the idea of flour but you also mentioned tapioca flour which I'm a fan of. Let me know how it goes, it'll definitely be easier that jerry-rigging corn starch slurries.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 06:59

Chuckwagon wrote:Nice recipe Jer, I've just got to try it out right away.
Never mind that northern nut! He's been trying to peel his M&M's again!
I just can't understand the old foodcart's obsession with my M&M's. They peel very easily after being microwaved on high for 30 minutes.
He calls me a nut! I've had emails from concerned squirrels who consider him a serious threat to their way of life.
As stated previously, it's probably the altitude. He lives on a 10,000' mountain peak. Imagine how thin the air is up there.

Anyway, enough about him!

I'm OK, honest! I'm working on the tic although the urge to strangle cowboys still comes and goes.

M&M sausage; Hmmm?
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 07:34

JerBear wrote:wow steel...way too many great ideas at once. If you don't use the microwave do you make your mustard fully only the stovetop? I like the idea of flour but you also mentioned tapioca flour which I'm a fan of. Let me know how it goes, it'll definitely be easier that jerry-rigging corn starch slurries.
Yes buddy, I make nearly everything on the stove, BBQ or smoker. Microwaves make excellent candy, particularly nut brittles and fudges. Other than those and items previously mentioned we use it for thawing and warming leftovers and hot drinks.

Our granddaughter is allergic to wheat gluten so we have reconstructed our lives to accomodate her. Tapioca powder falls about halfway between AP wheat flour and cornstarch as a thickening agent. We use it in all roux's and gravys. I expect that some dark rye flour would add another component to your recipe.

The following link will give you some options if you have a family member who is allergic to gluten.

http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-free-flour.html

Even if that is not a concern, many of these grains are available at reasonable prices at your local health food store and are all unique and delicious. Small amounts of grain can be turned into flour in a spice mill.

Here is another link that may add to your appreciation of mustard.

http://www.saskmustard.ca/consumer/pdfs ... k-2011.pdf
Last edited by steelchef on Mon May 09, 2011 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 09, 2011 07:39

Yup! The mudchef has been drinkin` downstream from the herd again! :shock: It just may be that his sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. Where there's smoke . . . you'll usually find Steelchef cooking dinner. Work just fascinates him . . . he could sit and watch it for hours!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon May 09, 2011 08:03

Chuckwagon wrote:Yup! The mudchef has been drinkin` downstream from the herd again! :shock: It just may be that his sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. Where there's smoke . . . you'll usually find Steelchef cooking dinner. Work just fascinates him . . . he could sit and watch it for hours!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Ha Ha!

Well you are bang on about the work thing. I retired 2-1/2 years ago, remember? You Old Potlicker! :razz:

And; you are absolutely right about the smoke associated with my cooking. Notice that is thin and blue: Deliciosiosa! :smile:

My purpose in life is to warn others about your demented rantings. Just take your meds and try to be nice. :mrgreen:

Regards,

Steelchef (Stainless) (Esq)
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue May 10, 2011 19:56

JerBear wrote:
Chuckwagon wrote:Hallertau Hops Mustard
JerBear old bud, I'm afraid that I may have made you famous. I shared your recipe, (plus my recommended adjustments) with a couple of friends. They have passed it on and over the weekend it has become the latest "item."
If you care to have your name associated with this fantastic culinary development, PM me and we can discuss your wishes.

I added one other ingredient, 1/2 cup of whipping cream. AWESOME!

It still hasn't had time to properly mature but is already scrumptdelyicious.