SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 02:50

Chuckwagon wrote:Nor Cal, I know you love & respect the guy, but think he went OFF LINE some time ago. Check it out. I'll stand my Marianski!
Actually, I'm not really all that familiar with 'the guy' but some other have folks have made this recipe so I figgered I'd give it a go.

I do have the Marianski book & find it invaluable. :wink:

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 22:36

Hi NorCal,
other folks have made this recipe so I figgered I'd give it a go.

Well, it looks like a winner Kevin, and everyone knows the respected name of Len Poli. How about postin' the recipe here so that our members may share it? (Be sure to credit Len just beneath the recipe). I'd sure like to give it a go. It looks delicious.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 23:37

Here's a link to a pdf of the recipe:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/New ... rkRoll.pdf

Things I did that varied from this recipe:
- No maple powder (optional)
- No LHP. Rather than using a starter culture, I used 17g of ECA for the 'tang'
- I smoked the roll (hickory) for two hours & cooked it in the smoker until the desired IT was reached.
- No poaching.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 00:47

Thanks for sharing NorCal. The texture of your sausage looks very nice. Did you find any problem in using the porto wine in the recipe? There is a point where it will start unraveling proteins like mad man with a bull whip. (I've ruined quite a bit while experimenting to find the correct proportions.) There is a sausagemaker (Colosimo) here in Salt Lake City who makes something he calls, "Red Wine Sausage". The stuff flies off the shelves at every grocery in the valley. On the label he says he uses "Sangria". It makes a tasty sausage (along with another ingredient I can't quite identify). I just can't figure out why his "traditional" Italian "Red Wine Sausage" uses a Spanish "Sangria". :???:
Again, thanks for sharing Kevin. It looks delicious. Can't wait to try it.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 02:32

Chuckwagon wrote:The texture of your sausage looks very nice. Did you find any problem in using the porto wine in the recipe?
thanks, CW.

I was very pleased with how the texture came out. It holds together very well, even when sliced quite thin. I've had problems before adding wine to garlic sausage (1/2 cup)-the flavor was too prominent & the stuff fell apart when sliced....not good. This recipe only called for 6 tablespoons of port for 10lbs. Subtle flavor addition, but it smells great when mixing.

Pork roll is a big hit in parts of the northeast. One of those 'regional' delicacies (like crabs in 'Frisco, lobsters in Maine, fried armadillo in Texas :mrgreen: ). Folks refer to it disparagingly as 'glorified spam' but I think it's tasty stuff. Addicting too. My son & I both had fried PR sandwiches @ 5:30 this morn...the proper way to start the day.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Tue Aug 09, 2011 15:45

Thanks for the play by play, Kevin.

As many times as I have visited the recipe section on the main website, I have never seen this forum. :oops:
Sure glad I did.

Now the reason for the post.
Have you ever frozen the finished stix?
What kind of shelf life do they have?
Refrigerated?
I'm going to make up about 25 pounds to take on the road with me. I need them to last at least 2 weeks. :shock:
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 21:15

Jarhead wrote:Thanks for the play by play, Kevin.
Now the reason for the post.
Have you ever frozen the finished stix?
I didn't get the opportunity to freeze any of the sticks as they disappeared before I could vac-seal & freeze. :mrgreen:
Jarhead wrote:What kind of shelf life do they have? Refrigerated? I'm going to make up about 25 pounds to take on the road with me. I need them to last at least 2 weeks. :shock:
This was my first batch making these sticks, so I'd like to hear an answer to this question as well. There are NO' added preservatives' used -other than salt & the smoking- so based upon my limited experience, I prefer to keep meat products refrigerated or frozen for long-term storage. For large, on-the-road transport, I'd vac-seal the lot in small batches so you can use 'em as needed.

-Kevin
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 23:15

Jarhead wrote:Have you ever frozen the finished stix?
Have frozen, two + years with no problems.
What kind of shelf life do they have?
Refrigerated?
Believe it or not --- 5 years plus. No additives, no fillers, just meat and spices with curing salt.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Tue Aug 09, 2011 23:30

Thank you for the quick replies.
I don't leave home til the 23rd, so I'll get busy on them. Geeze, hope they last that long. :lol:
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 01:52

I ususually do 15# batches and they don't last long around here either, especially when my kids come over. LOL.

Great job on the stix
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Hot smoked Russian turkey sausage.

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 12, 2011 22:56

I failed with the salami but I succeeded with the cooked sausage.
When I bought supplies to make salami I first bought plain fiber casings. so I had casings and needed to stuff them. Out comes the green Marianski book and search recipes. Several cooked sausage recipes attract my attention. The first was Ham sausage made with some ground meat and a lot of chunks. Mr.Marianski advises that we should understand the process and not blindly follow the recipe. So instead of using costly pork I opted for the less costly turkey and loosely followed the recipe on page 233.
I separated the lean meat from the skin, fat and fatty meat trimming and added salt and cure # 1 at the rate of 18 grams of salt and 2.5 grams of cure#1 per kilogram of meat or trimming. I then placed the bags in the fridge for 24 hours and then froze them.Image

Once frozen I warmed them in a cold fridge to just barely knife hard. Then I sliced them and diced them. Image
The lean I left in chunks and the trimming I ground through a 3/16 plate. .
This is where I had to decide whether I want ham sausage or something different. Nancy likes the ham sausage so I divided my meats and made 4 pounds of ham sausage and five pounds of russian sausage loosely following the recipe on page245. The ratio of mince to chunk is off in the ham sausage and not called for in the russian. I adhered to the spice quantities quite closely. When I emulsified the mince I adusted the liquid to more closely fit the ratios that I had.
Nancy and I stuffed them in 2.4 inch casings and hot smoked them as for the russian sausages. Image

The dark color reflects the inclusion of some beef heart and liver in the russian sausage. About 8 percent liver and 12 percent beef heart. Both included in the mince.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Bologna - my experiment

Post by Bubba » Sun Aug 21, 2011 15:24

I've had my fair share of projects gone wrong :oops: , but I persevere and use the "wrong" on my Bub-o-meter to improve and learn. Failure does not sit good with me, and if I do not succeed at first I will try again and again. :)

Two projects that have failed in the past were Cooked Bratwurst and Bologna (but more what the Germans call "Fleischkaese").
Cooked Bratwurst is close to solved and Bologna (for my taste buds) is good!
Also, I think the German and Austrian folk will frown on me linking Fleischkaese to Bologna, but the texture is very similar. And keep in mind with the home equipment I have, it is impossible to make the exact Fleischkaese product found in specialty stores.

Before joining this Forum, I had a trial with Fleischkaese, and it was a flop, bad texture, inferior taste and too dry. It was tossed.
Then a few weeks ago I came across Chuckwagon's Bad Bob's Bologna and after some thinking exercises I devised a way to try making Bologna to Fleischkaese style, namely baked in a bread pan.

I used Chuckwagon's recipe but left out the Coriander and Mustard.
After processing, I packed the mixture in a vacuum bag and vacuum sealed it to rest overnight in the Refrigerator.
The next morning I left the vacuum sealed contents on the kitchen counter for an hour, warmed up my baking oven inside the house to it's lowest setting, 170 F. It actually measured 180 F with my thermometer. (we had bad rainy weather that day so the oven was ideal)
The mixture was packed into a small non-stick bread bin, being careful to get all the air pockets out. Closed the pan up with a sheet of foil for the first (about) 3-1/2 hours, then removed it the last 30 min. After (about) 4 hours it reached internal temperature of 152 F (per Chuckwagon's recipe).
Removed from Oven, closed it up with foil again, and let it stand for about 3 hours.

The result was amazing! I thought the texture and taste were outstanding. Gave a few samples to friends and they agreed this is good (but they preferred their Bologna round, ever tried giving the good 'ol Southern folks something new to eat? :lol: )

I sliced the "Bologna Loaf" up, vacuum sealed it in slice portions and froze them.
I had to work yesterday, today is gardening day so I wanted to try some of the Bologna frozen a month ago.
I took one pack, defrosted and fried 2 slices, along with fried egg and a slice of cheese.
I thought it was divine, and moisture is good as well!

What I did find interesting about this project was (have a close look at the photo below), the Bologna formed a kind of sealing skin at the top where the bread pan was not covered towards the end.

So, I may not have the perfect "Fleischkaese", but I have "Bad Bob's Bologna" that tastes outstanding, less the sausage stuffing and smoker time.

Will I make it again? Sure! It's something nowhere else to be found. :)

Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 19:10

Bubba
Looks like it would fit a slice of bread perfectly :wink: As for the shape of your Fleischkaese / bologna, we have a pickle & pimento bologna loaf and a macaroni & cheese bologna loaf that has the same shape as your loaf, at our local grocery stores. I never seen "bologna" shaped like a loaf, until I moved here to VT :roll:

One of these days I will attempt a bologna loaf or round, with jalapeño and cheese. I guess by the sound of it, I will have to give "Bad Bob`s Bologna" recipe, a try!
Chow
Uwanna
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Aug 22, 2011 00:34

uwanna61 wrote:As for the shape of your Fleischkaese / bologna, we have a pickle & pimento bologna loaf and a macaroni & cheese bologna loaf
Hi Uwanna,
Yes here they have the Pickle and Pimento Bologna as well, but they sell it in the round form.

Macaroni and Cheese Bologna is new to me, I can imagine it would taste great!

When you make some of Chuckwagon's "Bad Bob's Bologna", please let us know how yours turned out?
On my next one I am toying with the idea of making 1/2 to recipe and the other 1/2 add a hint of garlic.
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 01:01

Bubba
Not sure what happened with my typing here :shock: but it should have read
One of these days I will attempt a bologna loaf or round, with jalapeno and cheese
Next weekend I plan to make CW's "Powder Keg Pepperoni" I have to give this a try!

Chow
Wally