SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 04, 2013 04:52

Cut into another coppa today. Cured with bay leaves, juniper and thyme for 18 days. Cased in beef bung and dried for 35 days at 70-80% RH and 12°C.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 17:33

Looks perfect to me! I just put up a couple last week.

Think you can find it in yourself to let the second one go another month? You'll be glad if you do!

Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 02:13

Thanks Jeff,

Yes the other coppa will hang for a while yet. I kept a chunk of the previous one for 5 months and it tasted great. Just a note here, the juniper/bayleaf seasonings are kind of pedestrian. OK, but boring. The previous one was loaded with paprika, hot chilies, garlic, cinammon, cumin, and much more and it was heaven!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 19:33

Red - you are a more patient man than I! I don't think I've ever held a coppa longer than 3 months. But each exta month has made a discernible difference.

I have the same experience with pedestrian spices. The more aggressive ones, liberally applied, are more to my liking.

I just started a couple new ones recently, but had to put them on hold in order to throw my curing chamber into full refrigeration mode to hold a pig I'm about to butcher. Here is a picture for the Sausage-in-the-early-stages Gallery. Sorry for the fuzziness. I think my hands were shaking after lugging those things in.

rbanks123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rbanks123 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 19:48

Argentine Chorizo... aka CHORIPAN
artisanbros.blogspot.com
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 13:11

Terrific lookin' chorizo, Russ! Did you make your own relish too?
Don't stop now big guy! Hey, what part of Utah are you in?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
rbanks123
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rbanks123 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 20:19

Chuckwagon wrote:Terrific lookin' chorizo, Russ! Did you make your own relish too?
Don't stop now big guy! Hey, what part of Utah are you in?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Hey Chuckwagon,
Thanks! it was a fun one to make and yes we made the Chimichuri as well! Its my mothers old family recipe from Argentina. We have been making it since we were kids. If you don't mind a bit of garlic its the best Chimi I have ever had! (stays with you for weeks though!)

I just moved to Michigan for the next little bit but my family and I are from pleasant grove... they are doing a competition today actually at the Salt Lake Fair! Are you familiar with Utah?

Thanks for the shout out!
Russ
artisanbros.blogspot.com
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 00:00

Are you familiar with Utah?
Born, raised, and stuck! :wink: I live just up the hill from you on Traverse Mountain at Suncrest. Raised on a ranch out on the Green River in Nine Mile.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 08, 2013 00:19

Chuckwagon wrote:Terrific lookin' chorizo, Russ! Did you make your own relish too?
Don't stop now big guy! ...
Recipes? Recipes! That really looks good.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:16

Finally getting around to posting a couple of pictures of my work of the last weekend of September. I started with 18 lbs. of venison, 9 lbs. of pork back fat, and about 25 lbs. of pork butt. I wasn't too sure at the beginning what I was going to make, other than the Venison links. I decided on a Cotto Salami recipe from Len Poli, and with the remaining ground pork, made some bulk Italian.

The following is the result of the weekends efforts, with an extra day for packaging.

Smoked venison, using Marianski's recipe, a 20 lb. batch divided, with cheddar cheese in half batch on right side. Cotto Salami, also a 20 lb. batch in 4-inch casing in the middle, and 11 lbs. of bulk "Hot" Italian behind that, also a Marianski's recipe.

Close-up shot of the Cotto Salami.

As I share it with family and friends it won't last long. Ended up with 92 links for the venison sausage. I was completely surprised by no blow-outs during the linking stage! I'm very pleased with the flavor of all of it.

Thanks for looking.
Jim
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:53

Jim - congratulations, all of that sausage looks fantastic! I have used Poli's cotto recipe several times, and really like it.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Cheers,
Jeff
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 03, 2013 19:16

I salute you. I was thinking that 20 pounds was my impractical limit and that a single butt is a more practical limit.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

A Days Work

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 04, 2013 02:28

Chicken Italian Sausage w/ Dried Tomatoes & Black Olives

22.5 lbs deboned chicken thighs, with skin
PS Seasoning Italian sausage mix, 25 lbs
12 oz dehydrated tomatoes from the back yard, re-hydrated in warm water
3 cans ripe black olives, drained
I bottle California chardonny

Everything but the wine and seasoning get run thru the grinder, medium plate

Stir the wine and seasoning, everything goes for a five minute ride in the mixer.

Throw the mix into the freezer while cleaning up the grinder, then setting up the stuffer

Stuff and link, then everything back into the freezer for a hour

After a hour of firming up in the freezer, shrink-wrap and label

Another grueling day on the links, worth every second! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 09:02

Jim & Jean, your work is outstanding! Very nice. Congrats!
Wow Ray... most professional in every respect. Nice job pal! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 18, 2013 20:42

Sometimes I make sausages in links. ;-) this is 2 pounds of chaurice made this morning. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook