SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 02:31

Hi Bubba,
I have made something very similar from a german site in the USA.
www.kitchenproject.com It is called "leberkase" and is superb. I used to like it very much when living in Europe. There are many regional variations, some with a small amount of liver.
Something to check out if you want a slightly different flavour profile and or ingredients.
The fleishkase you made look superb. I am jealous!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Smoked Franks & Spicy Meat Sticks

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 00:18

Such a beautiful summer day out, I decided to make a batch of beef & pork franks and some snack sticks.
I used two mixes from AC Legg. I usually prefer to mix my own spices & ingredients, but have found the ACLeggs stuff pretty good & convenient. It also contains no gluten so it's safe for my purposes. I had used their snack sticks mix before with good results. This time I wanted to add a little heat so I added two tsp of cayenne, two teaspoons of hot smoked paprika, and a tablespoon of hot chili flakes. This was for a five-pound batch.

I used 10 pounds of fine-ground (3mm plate) combination of beef & pork (70% beef/30% pork) for both recipes. 21mm collagen cases for the sticks & 22mm natural sheep casings for the franks.

Got everything stuffed & hung in the smoker. Using apple wood pellets for smoke.
Figured I'd throw in about a dozen fresh jalapenos (chipotles) for later use.

All hung & ready to go:

No smoke for the first hour; just 120° heat to dry the links a bit. Then smoke.
Two hours in and the links are getting some good color.

After a bit over 2 hours, I pulled the franks & plunged them into a hot water bath (175°) of my vintage turkey roaster.

The initial IT of the franks was 132° so I was curious to see how long they'd need to poach before hitting the mark.

Less than 12 minutes later, I got my answer as the alarm went off so it was time to pull the franks from the bath.

Cooling on racks by a large fan:

Left to bloom for a while so I can keep an eye on the sticks still in the smoker.

The sticks took a bit longer (no poaching) so I increased the temp from 160° to 180° over the course of the next hour & a half.
Pulled & blooming along side the franks:

The smoked jalapenos smell great. I'll keep these for another recipe.

Tasting the franks: My boys have already eaten four of them. I'm very happy with both the texture & flavor of the franks.
Light bit of smokiness that really works well with the seasoning.

After a night in the fridge, I sliced up some of the sticks for 'easy access'. Not as HOT as anticipated, but I added heat cautiously this time.

Overall, a very satisfying experience. I'm always happy when the results are well received by my taste-testers.

-Kevin

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Aug 23, 2011 00:25

Looks great from here!

Question; why the 175 degree bath and not take them to temp and quick quench in ambient water?

BTW, the pics are GREAT, and the last pic was WONDERFUL!

Charlie
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 03:10

CrankyBuzzard wrote: Question; why the 175 degree bath and not take them to temp and quick quench in ambient water?

Charlie
Thanks for the nice comments, Charlie,

My 'usual' process is to take 'em from the smoker, plunge them into the poaching liquid, then once desired IT is reached, I would normally drop them into an ICE bath to quick cool them.
I, however, didnt have any ice on hand (I lost the recipe! :mrgreen:) and had to make do with the racks & large fan. I suppose cold water could have worked just as well, if not better.
Goon news is they did cool pretty quickly with the large fan.

-Kevin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 06:23

Reverend, you've done it again! Beautiful.
You wrote:
didnt have any ice on hand (I lost the recipe!)
I'm still laughing and it's been ten minutes! Too funny.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Summer Sausage

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Sep 17, 2011 19:41

This was my first go at summer sausage. It seems as though on many forums, just about everyone has made SS so I figured its about time I crank out some. ;)

I've a number of recipes collected, but since I have a bunch of AC Legg's mixes on-hand & time was short, I though I'd give the mix a try. Easier too.

7 pounds of 85/15 of freshly ground beef from the store, added the mix plus the cure. I also added so ECA to the batch to give it some 'tang.' I stuffed two chubs using clear 70mm x 24 in. fibrous casing.

No pics early on as my son was borrowing my camera when I started. >:(

One hour in the smoker (no smoke) @ 120° to dry the chubs, & then three hours in the smoker with hickory. Started at 135° & amped gradually up to 160.° Pulled the chubs & plunked 'em into the 165° water bath until the IT hit 156°-which only took about 35 minutes.

Night-time poaching again:

I had to make to make some special arrangements for hanging the two sausages in the kitchen as we recently acquired a new 8-month old 'houseguest' who has shown a real interest (!!) in the sausage making process:

Hang 'em high!

Ready to eat...but I think I'll let 'em sit in the other fridge for a few days to continue to 'dry out' a bit more. I've discovered that when poaching sausages (post-smoke), they tend to be moister & 'plumper' than if I were to continue to 'cook' them in the smoker for the additional 3-4 hours+ it normally would require. I've done sausages both ways in a batch (1/2 get poach, the others don't) and I dont detect any loss of 'smokiness' some claim the poaching process robs. For me, the time savings is worth it.

Had to take a SMALL sample before pacing them in the fridge- nice texture, smokey & slightly-sweet/salty tangy flavor!
A few days of fridge-time will only intensify the overall flavor and continue the 'firming up' process.

Being that this SS was a bit larger in diameter (2.75"), letting the sausage sit for 3-4 days really helped. Firmed up & the flavor developed nicely.
Need to get some smoked cheese & some good crackers to compliment the SS. :)

toolhawk1
User
User

Bresoaola & Coppa added to the chamber , with pics

Post by toolhawk1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 19:14

Made some Coppa and Bresaola after curing for 15 days weighed and put in drying chamber today
toolhawk1
User
User

Peperone 1st try with pics

Post by toolhawk1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 19:20

Peperone has lost 35% of weight so here it is !! Has great flavor (put a little extra zip in it )
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 00:44

Toolhawk
Looks yumoo! Is this a fermented fully cured recipe? What bactofirm did you use?
Below is a semi fermented batch I made using LHP bactofirm, I made a 10lb batch qty 7 @ 24" long sticks, 2 weeks ago and half a stick left, going, going gone!!
Chow
Wally
Sliced after week 1
Week 2 stiffer texture, good stuff!
toolhawk1
User
User

yep f-rm-52

Post by toolhawk1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 00:52

F-RM-52 , Hog casings , all Beef , I am very pleased with the taste ,was going to use LHP but when I went to butcher packer they were out of it ,Yours looks Great !!!!
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 00:55

TH
That is a thing of beauty! I only wish I had the time to make such good looking salami. Soon buddy soon, when the weather turns cold I will have time, I think :roll:
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 01:12

TH
Thanks for the complement. I went with the LHP due to the fast fermenting. Pepperoni ready to eat by day 5 and at day 10 fully cured.
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 02:32

Great lookin' stuff Toolhawk. Lots of hard work but it will be worth it! How about a few more words. Tell us about it - some of the details.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
toolhawk1
User
User

Coppa , Bresaola , Lonzino

Post by toolhawk1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:44

This is what I used for the Coppa , CUT PORK PIECES NO LARGER THAN 3" , Mixed salt , cure, and dextrose(was not in this receipt but in others used 2 table spoons ) cured in ziplock for 15 days , then washed , mixed with seasoning and stuffed tight in Beef Middles

As for the Bresaola , used Stans , Home production book, except netted and hung open , no casing, did not have anything large enough, might put in fine cheese cloth tomorrow. , Also started some Lonzino today !!!
toolhawk1
User
User

p.s.

Post by toolhawk1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 03:53

I added a little red pepper flakes to , :mrgreen: