SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 07:47

Mike, one of the best tutorials I've read was written by my ol' pal "Mac" at the Sausagemaker in Buffalo. You can read it at this link: http://www.sausagemaker.com/tutorials/c ... amber.html
Miroslaw "Mac" Stanuszek heads up the research and development at the company and he is a member of the world's best sausage making site... Wedliny Domowe! Yup, he's our very own "MiroStan" - member 333. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 17:49

Thanks CW. There is a lot of information there and if a person uses the links mac gives. It is like holding a persons hand to make one. Mac went through a lot of time in order to give this article to us. All the links sends me to where and what to buy for the good stuff. Getting more interested now. Going to get Stan's book on fermented sausage. To me fermenting sausage could get dangerous if not careful, not like cooking sausage. Remember that pole wood I got, well it is 15 to 20 below every ---- morning. Burning a lot of wood now. Hope the weather breaks SOON. Take care.
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:17

Spanish Chorizo drying nicely, did wash them off yesterday with a vinegar solution, looked like some fuzzy white mold, now seems like the powdery white mold is forming, perhaps carryover from the salametti.

Image[/img]

Cheers,

John
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:50

Wow! sausage John. A person can tell you are a veteran at this. For a person just starting out at building a chamber and trying to keep it small. Could you take a wide picture of your chamber. Maybe I won't be able to keep it small and have to go to a full size refrigerator.? Thank you for your time mike
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sun Jan 27, 2013 18:10

Hi Mike,
I am making fresh sausages for a while and tried some smoked ones too, but just started on cured ones.
Had in my mind a long time ago to build a chamber, done a lot of research and found a full size fridge for $75.00 and started getting all the gadgets for it, and with some help from this site was able to get it working. Still working on fine tuning the settings and get used to the controllers.

Image[/img]

single door fridge with the temperature controller(cooling mode) -fridge plugged into the outside temp controller, and other plug on power bar powering inside fridge humidity controller and temperature controller (heat) for the light bulbs inside [img]http://[/img]Image[/img]

Image[/img]

with the fan (in door) and humidifier plugged into humidity controller.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
John
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 18:36

sausage John Thank you very much. Looks like I will have to go full size. Need some mad money as I call it, when I buy toys for my hobbies. The Mac link that Chuckwagon gave might be the way to go. A lot of information there. Thanks again Mike
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Jan 29, 2013 01:48

Update on my Spanish Chorizo on day 7; had a weight loss of 25-30% with a ph reading of 5.2 and nice mold cover.

Image://[/img]

Cheers, John
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:07

Wow! John looks like you are on your way to taste bud heaven. It really takes a lot of knowledge to do this. I have most of Stan Marianskys books. I just ordered the art of fermenting sausages. I have seen in other articles people having trouble with the mold. I surely don't want to go there. Mike
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 04:15

I dont mean to be citical here, but a 30% weight loss after seven days is way too quick. what is your humidity level at? and is the fan running all the time?
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57

TSMODIE wrote:I dont mean to be citical here, but a 30% weight loss after seven days is way too quick. what is your humidity level at? and is the fan running all the time?
Hi TSMODIE, I appreciate any comments, as I am new to the dry curing, the fan and humidifier are connected to the humidity controller what controll's the units. I have the fan placed on the bottom door shelf with the fan facing the fridge horizontally.
Any suggestions?

John
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25

TSMODIE,
The humidity is at around 78% and temperature of 56-58 F.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:57

How often does the fan run? and what type of fan is it?
huckelberry
User
User

sausagepalooza

Post by huckelberry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:54

Well I've had a busy few days. We finaly had to do something with our chickens that were not laying any more so we slaughtered and cleaned 60 birds, dressed them out and let them wet age in the fridge for four days.
After that we had to figure out what to do with 60 chickens, so we decided to keep 30 whole birds and to debone 30. Then we were left with the question of what to do with all the meat from the deboned birds...
Wouldn't you know I would turn to my favorite site and there it is... the answer to my question. NorCal Kid had the magic cure for too much ground chicken. Chicken Sausage with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil & Parmesan Cheese and Thai-style chicken sausage.
So I made 5LBS. of both. I also made a spinach and feta Greek style sausage of my own concoction. I wanted it to taste like the chicken kabobs that they put on the pita bread at the Greek restaurants. The ones with the Tzatziki Sauce. Anyway I think it came out pretty well but have yet to try it with the sauce on a pita bread like I had planned. It has the wonderful flavor of feta with a hint of lemon.
Any way here are some photos of my weekend.
Started with some chicken Thai sausage.
and lots and lots of ground chicken
Ready to mix
then on to some chicken tomato basil sausage
Ready to mix
Now for some chicken feta and spinich sausage
Ready to mix
Ok I still have venison to use so how about some breakfast sausage
pork and venison waiting for some spice
still have some more venison... how about some hungarian apricot sausage
Then some of Chuckwagons beer brats
the lagar may have been just a sip shy of a pint
All in all it was a busy weekend but worth it.
I did sub for the soy protein in Chuckwagons brats because I didn't have any. I used instant potato flakes that I turned in to powder with my mini food processor, and I reduced the amount to 1 cup. I also used three eggs because they were small.

Now after all of that I still have 25LBS. of venison to turn in to sausage next weekend.
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks to NorCal Kid, both of the chicken sausages came out great. My wifes favorite was the Sausage with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil & Parmesan Cheese I think I liked the Thai sausage best of the two, but both were very good. And Chuckwagon... thanks for another outstanding
recipe.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:21

Did you also cook the bones for stock? Use the hearts, livers and gizzards for sausage? Your meat sausage looks like a complete success and very nicely done.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:47

Your sausage looks great! Nice job! How many pounds of sausage did you end up making?