[CAN] Elk Snack Sticks

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

[CAN] Elk Snack Sticks

Post by Devo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:28

[center]Made some elk snack sticks.
Got the meat all seasoned for stuffing and in the fridge over night to blend the flavors together.

The line up. Missing in the picture is 1 level tspns instacure #1 , but it was added in case your wondering. This is for a 5 lbs. batch

All mixed and into the fridge over night

3lbs. elk
2lbs. pork
2 tablespoons Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce (great stuff :) )
31/4 ozs. of pepper stick seasoning
1 level tspns. instacure # 1
1/2 cup cold water/ mix all ingredients together
Stuff into 19-21 sheep casings. [/center]

[center]Here is what they looked like coming out of the smoker.
It was a very long smoke as I lost one of my duel elements in my smoker.
So 1 element and below freezing temps -30F*with the wind chill was hard to hold temp in the smoker and took a long time but they got done
The heat from the Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce is just right, not so hot that your mouth is burning but enough that the top of you head starts to feel the heat :)
The only thing I would change is the pork to elk ratio as it still was a bit dry. Maybe a 50\50 ratio would be better
Image[/center]
Last edited by Devo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 19, 2012 03:01

Maybe just increase the fat to lean ratio. Swallow was asking and commenting on cold smoking. - 30 F is sorta over doin it. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jan 20, 2012 13:20

The Mrs. neighbor from Poland used a 3 parts pork to 1 part venison. for his sausage for smoking. Also, he would pan fry a burger to check for moisture and seasoning before stuffing.
Swallow
User
User

pepperoni

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 19:55

I personally have never tasted elk and I don't like the taste of deer but I will say that the best pepperoni that I have ever tasted was made from moose. It was made by an old Ukrainian sailing buddy of mine. I have no idea what the recipe was or the procedure involved but it was simply the best. Is elk similar to moose insofar as that moose is Very dry.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 20, 2012 20:15

Swallow , I think that the taste of most venison depends on the forage the animal had for the three months before its death.
A rancher I knew in Oregon said that he preferred to take a deer about three weeks after the wheat harvest ended while they were still eating grain and before they moved back down into the canyons and started browsing sage brush.
Just as pork taste reflects the feed I am sure the same holds true for wild meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 21:11

ssorllih wrote:Swallow , I think that the taste of most venison depends on the forage the animal had for the three months before its death.
A rancher I knew in Oregon said that he preferred to take a deer about three weeks after the wheat harvest ended while they were still eating grain and before they moved back down into the canyons and started browsing sage brush.
Just as pork taste reflects the feed I am sure the same holds true for wild meat.
Well Ross, I'm not knocking what others eat But in this area the deer feed almost exclusively on alfalfa, corn and hay.(Damn moochers). I have a lot of deer around here both white tail and mules, as well as moose and the occasional elk does pass through. As matter of fact as I write this I can looking out of my office window see seven does feeding in my pasture. All toll I probably have around a thousand or so deer on my property according to the wildlife dept estimates. I bale up 74 acres of alfalfa every year, two cuts, 75% of which I sell to other farmers and the rest gets fed to the deer. My dairy herd of Two Dwarf Jerseys don't eat all that much. These deer are well fed and fat but to me they still taste like deer. But as I don't hunt or allow hunting on my land it ain't much of a problem and the extended family here at the Swallow's Nest continues to grow.

As to my question I was just wondering if there was a difference in taste between deer and elk with the forage being equal. I do know that there is a huge diff between deer and moose.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 20, 2012 21:16

I am sure that there is a difference just as there is between sheep and cow. I know people that claim to be able to tell the difference between an Angus steer and a dairy steer when it is cut and grilled .
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 22:40

For me tell you how elk tastes I would have to try it without adding pork or beef. I only make sausage out. The elk I get comes from a game farm down the road from me and they get feed grain and all the good stuff so I'm sure they taste different than wild elk.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:31

Ross wrote:
I know people that claim to be able to tell the difference between an Angus steer and a dairy steer when it is cut and grilled .
Ross, do you mean to tell me that you CAN'T taste the difference? :lol: Out here we have the bally-faced Hereford and others of course, but I can taste whether it was raised on grass or hay. Very easily distinguished but then, I've been chasin' the dang things all my life.

You are absolutely correct about deer diet during their last 3 months. Those raised in the brush even begin to taste like it. Back up in the timber, they taste different - not better... just different. When a deer has been running and is shot, it tastes like... it was running and shot! Many hunters don't know how to clear away the musk glands, anus, bladder etc., and those things also "contribute" to the flavor many people complain about. Good deer meat is delicious. Elk is marvelous. It's texture is a bit more coarse and some say it's tougher but those are the folks who don't know how to cook it. Hey, come and visit and we'll even have you shoot a bear and a buffalo! :wink: I'm just not going with you on your sailboat the "Bietzpaddlin". You see, I'm afraid of sharks ever since I saw "Jaws". :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 21, 2012 16:31

Chuckwagon, You don't have to be concerned about sharks here the pollution kills them before they get this far up the bay. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 00:30

Good looking sticks Devo!!!! I like the color!!!