Sausage "Chatter"

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 04, 2012 05:53

We can close it up as tight as a submarine. 30 feet and 5 tons is pretty solid.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:02

ssorllih wrote:We can close it up as tight as a submarine. 30 feet and 5 tons is pretty solid.
Boy howdy Ross, that's a lot of luxury! The peace and serenity a man feels out on the big pond is pretty hard to beat, at least ubtil the strong winds begin to develop. Of course a sailboat thrives on wind whereas a fishing boat start looking for a harbor when things begin to blow. Not like a man can't catch some nice fish from a sailboat either! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

sausage chatter

Post by ursula » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:50

I made a boomerang sausage last weekend.
Jan (crusty) gave me a wonderful recipe adapted from Snagman's csabai. He likes it a bit hotter. Now I like it hot too, so I upped the ante (as they say) and upped the hot factor just a little bit more.
What a wonderful sausage! A lovely snack. And some just as sausages to barbeque.
Others cooked and lovingly placed on a cracker. Yum!
Funny thing. I gave one to my father ( who puts chilli on everything except beer!)
He sent it back. Too hot, he said.
Gave some to a neighbour. Thanks but I can't drink enough beer to drown out that heat, he said.
So I guess I'll tone it down a bit next time. (But for me, it's wonderful!)
By the way, has anyone made a sausage called RZESZOWSKA?
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56

Hi Ursula,
Good to hear that you liked the spiced up csabai. Some people can't stand a bit of chilli at all.
This spiced up version of mine is only suitable for real MEN and WOMEN. Not pussy's !!!!!!!!
Just keep on making them, at least you can eat the lot yourself without offending anyone.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 07:43

By the way, has anyone made a sausage called RZESZOWSKA?
Yup! It is Polish "kielbasa" made in Rzeszow. Simple as that. :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Re: sausage chatter

Post by Baconologist » Mon Nov 12, 2012 03:17

ursula wrote: By the way, has anyone made a sausage called RZESZOWSKA?
Ursula
Yes, Ursala, it's a smoked, partly emulsified, pork and beef kielbasa seasoned with black pepper, cardamom and garlic---quite a bit different than standard kielbasa.
I can provide the formula and method if you wish.
Godspeed!

Bob
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

sausage chatter

Post by ursula » Sat Nov 24, 2012 05:41

Thank you.
I saw a whole list of different sausage recipes on a site by Marianski, including Rzeszowska. It looks a little complex for a hot weekend, so will hold off till I am a little less busy.
Today I am making the Polish Cold smoked sausage in his book, although I am varying the process a bit to suit my situation. But I am a little surprised that there is such a high salt content (28%) and wonder why, and if it would matter to the finished product if I reduced it to the normal percentage?
What do you more experienced sausologists think? Is there a legitimate reason it should be that high?
Regards Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 07:11

Hi Ursula,
I checked the recipe for Stan`s Cold Smoked Polish Sausage on page 399. Twenty-eight grams of salt is the correct amount.
On page 359 of Stan`s book "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages", he explains that in a dry-cured product, lesser amounts are not high enough to provide safety against bacteria. He suggest 3.0 to 3.5 per cent salt in making fermented dry sausage without starter cultures. For those using starter cultures, 2.5% is recommended. Sorry for the confusion.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Out of breakfast sausage

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 30, 2012 03:05

I was digging through the freezers and discovered that I am out of breakfast sausage. This can not be allow to persist and will make more this week.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Re: sausage chatter

Post by Baconologist » Fri Nov 30, 2012 06:32

ursula wrote:But I am a little surprised that there is such a high salt content (28%) and wonder why, and if it would matter to the finished product if I reduced it to the normal percentage?
Hi Ursula,

28 grams of salt is the correct amount.

Because that particular sausage is dry-cured without an acidifying culture, the higher level of salt is a very important safety measure. The amount of salt recommended in such a case, for safety's sake, is at least 3%, that's met with the 28 grams of salt and the 2.5 grams of cure #2.
Godspeed!

Bob
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:29

Hi Ursula,
Let us all know when you make this sausage with a few photo's please. I am keen to make it myself when the weather cools down a bit, 36 degrees C is not very conductive to sausage making here at the monent.
Good luck.
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

sausage chatter

Post by ursula » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:56

Hi all,
Thank you for all the tips
Polish sausage is made along with a couple of kilos of Crusty's delectable csabai. Going to smoke it tomorrow and over the next 4 days and then I'll post some photos.
Still eating the really hot ones, Jan - fantastic on a savoy biscuit with a glass of the red stuff. THis next one is a bit milder, to suit the less adventurous in my circle.
Meanwhile my Italian gelato machine is expected to arrive tonight. Come on Fedex , you can do it!
Good wishes Ursula
orf
User
User

100 #'s of butts

Post by orf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:55

I made 50 + lbs of kielbasi for thanksgiving for family, friends and associates. They want more for x-mas,much more! does anyone buy their meat in bulk and if so where? I looked on line and found some that'll sell me a ton but I don't need that much.I live in ne pa. , I get mine from wegman's now @ $1.29 per # bone -in.thanks. orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 01, 2012 15:12

I would talk to the manager at Wegmans Orf. They may need to increase their order if you are going to take 10 butts. They may give you a bit better price, but 1.29 is pretty good as it is. My Wegmans may not have many more than 10 in stock at once.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:08

I buy from Wegman's in Bel Air and have asked about case pricing. $1.29 is all they will do. Safeway here sell @$1.79 and Giant @$1.99. The bone is about the same size in all of them so the heaviest ones you can get are the best deals.
Ross- tightwad home cook